Advanced MSF course

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by trez157, Oct 5, 2005.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Has anyone ever taken it? I was just wondering what kinda stuff they teach at it.

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Same as the basic course but w/o the book/classroom work. They teach the same skills but a little more advanced(ie you use your own bike, you go a little faster, your weaves are 1 handed and turns are a little tighter)

3. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

Do you feel it was worth the time and money?
    I've wondered once or twice about this class.....thinking it would be a good refresher on good riding habbits.

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

PA the course is free and i try to take the MSF course every year just to keep myself out of bad habits

5. V!

V! New Member

I feel the best way to learn is to go out riding with experienced riders

Watch them, follow their movements and mimic their riding habits

You never do any riding in nice, empty controlled parking lots, so why learn there?

6. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I took the Advanced class a couple weeks ago, didnt complete it because my battery crapped out toward the end and I couldnt get the bike started any more. I think it was worth it, even if I didnt get the card to show my insurance company and save insurance fees. There is alot that you can practice in a parking lot that will transfer to the road. You may not learn high speed skills, but there is alot more to riding on the road than going fast. You ever make a u-turn? How about ride slowly up the on ramp with the metering lights going? You need low speed skills, without them you are just as likely to become a splat on somebodys windshield as if you ride too fast for your abilities. Take the class, you can always learn something new no matter how long you have ridden. If you think otherwise you probably wont be around much longer.

7. V!

V! New Member

I believe that u-turns and low speed skills are covered in the beginner's class?

8. Frequency

Frequency New Member

yea but how often do you practice them?

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

everytime I screw up and pass the turn I was looking for.

Slow speed turning is part of everyday riding. I'd say I practice it every time I ride.

10. Frequency

Frequency New Member

practice = a controlled enviroment
    besides refresher and keeping yourself out of some bad habits is never a bad thing unless you are too :cool:

11. V!

V! New Member

I agree

Something that isn't covered that i would like to see done is how to brake really hard.....

They need to cover how to properly brake in turns, rain and other conditions

12. V!

V! New Member

Every weekend in SoCal there was a no0b ride where they would learn new skills every week, I attened a few and they were interesting......:cool:

13. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Thats the big thing, they watch you and inform you of your bad habits. Plus give you new things to make a new habit of. For instance, one new thing I learned is when making a u-turn look all the way through the turn right from the start. As soon as you go you need to be looking back as close to 180* as you can in an effort to look where you want to be. I never looked that far back before but after practicing it my u-turns are alot more stable and tighter. Something I wouldnt have improved upon if I hadnt taken the class.

Like I said, there is always something you can learn. Even if for some reason you get nothing at all from the class itself you will at the very least make a few new friends and get some hints and tips from the other participants.

FSU Rider, They do cover hard emergency braking in the MSF advanced class. It is only from about 25mph but that gets you started in the right direction and ready to practice from a higher speed. And what other conditions are you looking for? We were riding over road debris (a 4x4 log). Also covered was braking for corners (you dont brake in corners unless you screwed something up).

14. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

They taught us that in our basic MSF. I didn't realize that the topics covered varied so much between areas/institutions. I always assumed they had used common guidelines...guess not.