COMIC Adult Swim is the only american outlet for anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by smell my finger, Apr 20, 2003.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

unless you want to pay 30 dollars for 5 episodes of series..speaking of that.. when does Berserk 5 and X disc 3 come out ?

2. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

The Anime Channel(TM)

3. smell my finger

DBZ - meh.. its ok
    Yu Yu Hakusho - very kiddish, it was taken off of Adult Swim for a reason
    Rurouni Kenshin - seems like Yu Yu, but i haven't seen it,

perhaps it should have said, Cartoon network is the only place, and Adult Swim is the only place for decent anime :fawk:

4. smell my finger

never heard of it :sad2:

5. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

6. tom3

tom3 ...

i wish we got more than 8 cable channels in the dorms :wtc:

7. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

YHH wasn't meant to be a DBZ clone at first; it was meant to be the guy's adventure encountering beings from the underworld. That of course didn't go very well, so we get all these :greddy: tournament seasons and fighting.

DBZ was never meant to aim at a mature audience; the Japanese are just so desensitized that whatever you deemed to be "mature" from it were actually meant for kids. Just because there are violence, sexually suggestive scenes, and crude language doesn't make it very mature at all. It was a kiddy-pleaser in Japan, and still is one in US.

Kenshin is decent, but if you really want to enjoy it, you must read the manga instead. Now, I'm not saying the anime series as a whole is horrible, but the side stories and filler episodes were absolutely terrible and add very little value. Just watch the main "storylines" and conflicts, and maybe a few character development episodes here and there. The story also moves very slow in the anime as compared to the manga, so it seems that they've decided to drag it on as long as possible from the start.

...you can probably tell that I don't have much of a high opinion for any of them...the sad part is, I've actually started watch the former two at the age of the "intended audience"...

Back to the topic; other than Adult Swim, there's always fansubbers. Now if you have anything resembling 56k, then forget about it; it'll take you a whole day just to get one decent quality episode (170~200MB). New anime series are constantly subbed and are perfectly legal; best of all, they are really easy to get via bit torrent and mIRC. Sites such as envirosphere.net and animesuki.com offer up-to-date anime releases from most subbing groups. A nice complement to those BT sites is animenfo.com and other various anime-rating/review sites. Animenfo.com by all means doesn't offer the best judgement (user based), but by the law of average and popularity, you should be able tp find the type of anime you like that are worth watching.

Now, if you want to watch the licensed ones; tough luck, they are no longer released and supported by most legit sources. The only means of accessing them are probably illegal; I sincerely hope I don't get banned for this, but to watch older animes, either download from KaZaA or hubs for free, or go rent them from anime video stores for a very small fee (although most of the time the dvds or vhs themselves are legit, I doubt the video stores were granted permission to rent them out). I don't recommend these paths as you should support licensed anime by buying them, but who the hell would pay to watch crappy anime series that you are just curious of?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2003
  8. smell my finger

:rofl: i wouldn't worry about getting banned

and thanks for the info :cool:

9. e_man182

e_man182 PedoBear's Apprentice

:werd: the manga is infinitely better than the show.

10. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I happen to like Yu Yu Hakusho, and the eps of Kenshin that I d/l are a lot bloodier than the stuff they show on Toonami.

They've been showing Silent Mobius on TechTV for a while now, and the Action channel's been recently showing Queen Emeraldas and 3x3 Eyes as well as Bubblegum Crisis, so there's two other channels that show some anime.

11. Irom

Irom OT Supporter

anyone else remember sci-fi channel's "Saturday Anime"?

12. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

hell yea hiei is my favorite character and :nono: it is not a childish anime

yea i was reading the manga and then i saw the cartoon on CN i was like wtf coz its all retarded and shit compare to the manga.......

p.s. Hiei ownz

13. lordcoca

I remember, that's where I saw Iria and Vampire Hunter D :bigthumb:

P.S. Kurama >*

But this mysterious masked fighter seems pretty cool, I just hope it isn't Genkei in disguise. (Don't ruin this for me!)

14. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

It's not illegal as long as anyone US doesn't go after me :x:

I stop sharing certain anime series once they are released; case in point: FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga...these are worth buying, so it'd help if people support the licensers. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and claim I've bought all those; instead, I recommended them to my cousin who has the financial luxury of buying anime DVDs...that's the only way I can contribute; otherwise I'm just another poor college student. :hs:

15. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

o yea i loved that part of the series you posted man

p.s. i forgot who's jorge

16. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

don't forget TechTV's Anime Unleashed

17. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

if its dubbed, it's evil. End of story.

18. Camcam

Camcam J.U.N.K.E.R.

Don't forget Anime Unleashed on TechTV late night and they always showing Anime movies uncut on Action Encore.

19. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

20. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

well, there are always acceptions to the rule, but if you have a choice, subtitled and in the original spoken language is always better.

No matter how good the voice actor is, and there are many good ones, it just doesn't carry the same power and emotion the original actor did.

CB might be one, Ah My Goddess is another that comes to mind... And Disney does a pretty decent job with Miyazaki's films... although they still can't touch the original voices.. they are decent.

21. lordcoca

I like dubs. Unless I'm eating something crunchy when I watch them, then they suck.