ADSL question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marcos, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I've been to a friend's house, they have this simple ADSL wireless network set-up, i think it uses all netgear comonents, and on the PC i was on, it was networked using a small USB stick wireless dongle. I thought performance from that would be pretty shitty but the speed was great, the pages loaded within a second or so of clicking a link.

I have a wired ADSL connection, on the same ADSL package, so it shoudl be the same, but i use different hardware, i use the standard USB ADSL modem that came with the connection, and the speed is annoying. Its fast when it is actually downloading files, but the access time is crap, it takes usually around 4-5 seconds to show a page.

What i want to know is, what causes that? Is it my browser settings? The USB ADSL modem? Some other setting? My connection?

What do i need to get to have pages load quick ?

2. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Also, i think they were running Win98 or 2000 if that makes a difference, im running XP, but have a faster computer.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If i were you I'd cart the computer over to your friends house, borrow the USB dongle and try it out. There are simply too many variables to say where the holdup is, but I would guess that your USB ADSL modem is the lynchpin but its all speculation until you isolate the problem.

4. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

ok, and what brand do you recommend i should buy for router? more specifically a wireless router with built-in adsl modem.

I was about to buy a d-link but having second thoughts after reading a topic on OT

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've started to really like Linksys's stuff which is owned by Cisco now who are the shiznit when it comes to routers. One would think if there's something to be changed in the networking world, they'd release a firmware upgrade for it.