ADSL modems and ADSL providers.....Compatibility issues or boosheet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LabradorBoy, Jul 6, 2004.

1. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I am about to subscribe to high speed internet service at my home and I have a few Q's regarding ADSL modems and their compatibility with different ADSL providers.

The local counter gimp for the provider I am considering is telling me that a "Comtrend" brand, model # CT-301 ADSL modem must be used to work with their ADSL service in order to work correctly. I am very skeptical about this and believe that they are only trying to get you for the extra $8/mo. I certainly do not believe that ALL ADSL modems will work with ALL providers, but I strongly belive that some modems are very similar and will work fine in the place of each other.

Can anybody comment on this? Perhaps somebody who works/has worked in the industry?

2. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

Many ADSL modems are cross compatible. However, you need the capability to reprogram the modem with the ISP's corresponding VCI/VPI, encapsulation type, and other such settings.

3. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I see...are we talking about special equipment required, or just the capacity to flick a few switches, etc?

4. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

A lot of the modems I've seen simply allow you to telnet in and make the changes. On the other hand, if the modem you have came from an ISP, they probably would have changed the telnet password to make it inaccessible.