SRS Adrenaline Addiction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pringles, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Ever since I came to understand how and what adrenaline is and what it does I have become addicted. Happiness works to an extent, but to have the rush is far more greater to me. For example I used to skateboard and that gave me the rush of hurting myself or coming out with a nice trick. I then took up gambling. I started with poker. It's a pattern that I see emerging. I'm scared that in order to feed the addiction you always have to risk more each time. Then came cars. Now I have a huge addiction to cars and to own my frist one out of college is a dream to me. I have been in two accidents. One my fault and one that isn't. Either way I personally think that I should've been dead a long time ago. I tend to take a lot of risks. The scary thing is it isn't to prove anyone wrong or to look cool in front of social groups. It's to impress myself. Show myself that you can take it to the next level. I recently have found a way to make money with sports gambling. Now I have 10k that I have earned in the past two summers of work and I'm considering putting 30% towards this endevor with the hopes of making profit.

I guess this is kind of a rant, but I'm wondering if it is common to be addicted to adrenaline. It seems that no matter what I do it all involves being on the edge of life and if I'm not there then I'm not alive in my own opinon. Is this bad? Is this just part of my lifestyle and others choose different routes? I guess it's has come to my attention now that it must be getting pretty bad. I think I said this, but I just fear that I'm going to take it to far and I'll die from it.

I'm also not sure if this is related, but whenever I get girlfriends or girls that come close to me they tend to help limit myself as for some reason I listen to them more so than myself. Does this make sense?

Any ideas ot? :sadwavey:

2. Crush

Crush Epidural hematoma up in this bitch

You would enjoy the movie Crank.

3. Pringles

Pringles New Member

saw it and I dont think mine is that bad if this is even considered to be bad.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yes, that makes sense. I understand exactly what you're saying, altho I cannot explain why that is the case. If I had to guess, I would say it was one of two things. Either:

A) You are somewhat insecure and you give your power away to girls you date. Therefore, when a girl tells you to limit your exposure to activities that give you the adreneline response you crave, you are more willing to do so to make her happy.

B) You are more addicted to the endorphin release that comes from having a gf, and so making her happy > adreneline rush. This is a bad analogy, but think of it as being addicted to one drug and then finding another drug you like better, and using that one instead.

I know what you are talking about, however, because I'm the same way. When I get a gf I stop doing a lot of the stuff that used to make me happy in favor of spending time with her.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Some people want to live on the edge, its very dangerous but i know heap load of people who'd rather live 30 years on the edge then 100 years in boredom.

What is disturbing is that you are unable to bring your life back into calmer waters. You know it shouldn't be an addiction, you should be able to say. Im going to work for 8 weeks on a daily normal schedule.

My grandma used to say 'it can't be party time all the time' , same counts for you it can't be rush time all the time, because then your not living a normal life and such lifestyle's bring havoc onto your own body, which is proven by all the accidents you had.

My advice is that you stick with normal life , and a rush once every 5 weeks or so,still dangerous but at least you'd be reducing it.

6. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I love a rush too, but there has to be a limit and you have to be able to force that upon yourself. I think too much of anything is bad and when you feel yourself NEEDING something then I think there is a problem.

While it would be great to live every day 'on the edge', as you'd have heaps of fun and be doing crazy stuff all the time, it just isn't sustainable. Something bad WILL happen, unless you are the luckiest guy in the world. In the gambling you WILL lose, doing crazy tricks WILL break something etc etc. If you can take living with these risks then that's your choice, or if you'd rather live a more 'normal' life and possibly reach 70 with a rush every now and again then you might have to get some help :)

7. Pringles

Pringles New Member

thats where I was heading. Is this serious enough that it needs help? Or I should be able to end it on my own right? I think it also has to do with my personality of me always not wanting to be another drone in the mass that wakes works sleep. I feel that I need to prove myself better than the flock and do random risky occurances to justify to myself for being alive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  8. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

It all depends on if you think you need help. I'm fairly strong willed so I don't get addicted easily (or can break that addiction as soon as I realise/want to) but others have a lot of trouble and they tend to need outside help.

Before you can decide that though, you have to make the choice on whether or not you want to change. You may think doing what you are doing now is the best thing for you, who is anyone else to tell you otherwise? All up to you, though in my experience you can't live life on the edge the whole time, it just isn't sustainable (which might be fine for you, again up to you to decide).

9. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I am addicted to adrenaline as well. It is easy to lose track of the potential costs of said addiction when in the heat of the moment. I smoked cigarettes for many years but when I finally faced myself with the total costs of the addiction I was able to cut myself off clean from it. I now only smoke one or two a year. I am able to control and supress the cravings. The same goes for my adrenaline addiction. I used to ride BMX every day and I was beyond reckless behind the wheel. After many accidents, tickets, and injuries I had to face the facts. Luck runs out, life catches up to you, and you can either enjoy your vices in moderation or punch out early. I have kids now, I want to live my life to the fullest. Your choice.