A&P Adobe Labs Lightroom

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nicklk, Oct 21, 2006.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Anyone mess with this beta??? I was watching the PhotoshopTV podcast and they mentioned it....its free, its a beta but they have everything rollin with it...I might d/l it tonight to try it out.....

http://labs.adobe.com/

2. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

What's the point of it? I looked at that page and I still wasn't sure. :hs:

4. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

It looks like dpp. :hsugh:

5. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I like DPP :hsugh:

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

As do I. :hsugh:

7. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

:cool:

8. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Well unless I get some more user reviews on it... i'm content with PS

9. mojito

mojito New Member

try b4.1.

it runs circles over anything else out there. It is slow, but speed optimization is the last thing to be worked on before actual release. B4 is much faster than 3 was.

Heres the basics
    Import shoots from you HD or from a Card. You can have the images moved to the Lightroom library or just reference the images in their existing location.
    Whether you work on a RAW or JPEG, you are editing the metadata and a sidecar file, not the actual pixels, so not degeneration is caused. It has options that aren't found in any other RAW program, like split toning, or grayscale but actually working with 6 colors like the PS channel mixer setup, but better.

So you import and rename/include keywords/rate the photos/apply a preset for "development"
    they you select the photo(s) you want to work on, you can compare the photos next to each other to see the difference between similar images, then make it big and work on it. there are a bunch of way to view it, wither live preview, before/after split horizontal or vertical, or large image split before/after.

The actual options for editing blow everything else away. 6 color adjustments in 3 separate categories, split toning, amazing curve/level adjustment in a variety of ways.

If you often do the same color corrections and changes, you can save them (or download others) presets. I use one that is a boost of fill, darken the shadows, apply a vignette etc. Just select the photos you want it applied to and hit sync. Can't be any easier.

You can crop free hand or to set/custom aspect ratios. Want to really see how it looks, you can hit L and it dims everything but the photo, hit it again and it makes the whole screen black but the photo.

you can export as jpoeg, tiff, psd. 8 or 16 bit. full size or to constrain to a set pixel size, and dpi. you choose the color management. rename etc.

then theres a slideshow option, with music, words, custom sizing and background etc.

next is one of the best printing programs available. I'll probably end up dumping qimage for it, and I actually paid for and like qimage. fully customizable contact sheets in every way, except for changing the background to black, which hopefully will be changed by 1.0 release. Its also smart enough to actually know which lens, not just the focal length.

it then has a web feature. You can make html or flash galleries, and ftp it right from there. Not the best out there, but plenty for any non commercial user.

overall its amazing. it'll cut down on the time I had to spend in photoshop and bridge and making actions and droplets and crap. I'll just use PS for layer work and cloning etc.

the beauty is that anyone can make presets and share them easily, like actions, and even make new modules, like a sharpening one etc.

Links:
    Light Room Develop Module Presets: http://lightroompresets.com/
    Random tutorials: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/software/Adobe_digital_workflow/index.html
    More Stuff from the NAPP: http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html

10. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

hello and welcome to last year.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

:hsugh:

12. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Funny how Lightroom 4.1 just came out about a week and half ago??

Thanks Viper!