Adobe is evil?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by G_G_L, Jan 11, 2007.

1. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

My gf has a relativley new laptop, and it came with adobe reader. For whatever reason, it was messing up too much and causing too many errors, so i downloaded another pdf reader.
    I thought i solved the problem and everything was hunky dorey, except for today she's told me the pc downloaded some m$ updates and now it won't let her surf the net.
    Sure enough, opening up IE and trying to go anywhere but the home page gives an error message. I searched, couldn't find anything, and did a system restore.
    Now, i can go online, but I still have no clue what caused it.
    Also, in my add/remove programs list, adobe 7 is in there, w/o the button to remove it. So I go online, see there's a version 8, and decide maybe replacing w/ a newer version would help. But it won't let me install, it says it cannot get rid of the previous version.
    SO, finally getting to my question: how can i get rid of adobe 7 so I can install 8 and rid the laptop of stupidy and evil.
    HELP!

2. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

help? :(

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Can you click the "Change" button to uninstall Acrobat? Some programs force you to use the "Change" button so you can't just force the install program to go into uninstall mode without it asking you questions first.

4. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

there isn't any buttons, thats what's so wierd

5. 7960

7960 New Member

can you re-install version 7 ?

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Forget Adobe Reader.
    The only good thing about it, at least to some people, is that you can read PDFs in the browser. Well la-de-freakin-da.

Get Foxit Reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    Free, smaller (1.5MB dl), and easier to use. Loads as fast as loading a text file in Notepad.

7. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

That is awesome. I've been using it for a few months.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nice job missing the point. He's gotta uninstall Acrobat 7 before he can use any other PDF program, because Windows still expects to be able to use Acrobat 7 to open PDFs with.

9. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

lol, my problem isn't so much that I can't read pdf's. like I said, i've had foxit for a while. the problem i'm having is i can't go to any site using ie7, AND i've got that same popping coming up when i try to do diff. types of windows things, like check for updates.
    adobe is still in the system, i can't remove it, so i'm thinking that could be the problem...