ado/vb: null values

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DiabSoule!, Mar 26, 2004.

1. DiabSoule!

DiabSoule! ooh, plum been runnin', buck a doz. ooh, smoke ba

I have a table containing a 255 character text field that may contain null values (ascii 0). I would like to display the nulls as a character (ie. ";"). Right now, the nulls come up as empty strings (""). How can I do this?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Within the table, not sure if you can. Within a form, you can have it say anything you want with programming.

3. DiabSoule!

ok. I suppose I could go through each character in the field and look for ascii 0 values and display them as ";". However, my problem (or maybe it's me lol) is that ado thinks the field is empty or treats the null value as well, nothing. But when I look at the field through a SQL browser I have I can see the ascii 0s.

as an example.. here's what a field may look like.

111;;111;11;;;;;;1 (the 1s are just any value and the ;s are nulls) ado seems to just skip the nulls and produce 111111111 for the example above. I need the nulls in there!!

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Okay. Stop there. What are you ultimately trying to do because I think there's a better way

5. DiabSoule!

This field contains information about user rights to a program. The values in this field correspond to different levels of access to the various functions in this program based on the location of this value within this field (from 1 to 255).

valid values are ascii 0 (no access) through to ascii 4 (supervisory).

the app i'm writing will display the level of access a user has to each function within this program. i can read the ascii 1s through 4s just fine..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  6. 5Gen_Prelude

So assuming you don't want to go with x number of fields which would be my preference, why not simply store the number 0-4 in each place field? Why are you insisting on using the value of ASCII characters 0-4?

If you're stuck with the format (ie it's not yours), then I would suggest that you retrieve the information via a different means other than ado. Dump the data into a text file and read it back perhaps, but using traditional ado calls will ignore the nulls.

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

You have a field with non-null charactors and null charactors? Didn't think that was possible... Or are you saying their is multple columns in the record one per function? If that is so then do something like isNull()

Select * from table where field=whatever

In your code
    if isNull(Field(x)) then
    newvalue = ";"
    else
    newvalue = Field(x)
    end

Or am I way off base here?

8. DiabSoule!

no can do, that would make this security file useless to the program that uses it. It needs the asc 0 through to 4 values.. it wouldn't recognize 0 through 4 (the characters). my app is a custom add-on that has to work with the existing table in its current form.

9. DiabSoule!

That's exactly what I'm saying. I didn't think such a beast existed either.. till now. It's a pervasive/btrieve database btw. ascii 0 corresponds to null correct?

10. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

A long shot but can you do a
    Code:
    do until intLocation = 0
      intLocation = instr(startpoint,field,char(0),0) 'Look in field for Null
      arrLocations(counter) = intLocation             'add location of found null to array (or 0 if not found)
      startpoint = intLocation + 1                    'change start location to next character
      counter=counter+1                                'add to array counter
    loop

if arrLocations(0) <> 0 then you have some???

The idea not the code...

11. 5Gen_Prelude

He still has the problem that when he retrieves the data via ado, it does NOT return the ASCII 0's in the string. It's like a built in filter.

12. DiabSoule!

exactly. there must be a way of turning off this filter. I do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions thus far. Thanks a bunch!

edit: I guess I could just give everyone read access (ascii 1) at minimum to everything, problem solved. lol. ;)

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Like I said before, you're going to have to dump the data to a datafile or something and then read it back in character by character. In other words, can't use ADO, at least not directly.

14. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Sorry I did not understand this the first time. After a little research it dawned on me that you had said that and the research agreed. So basically I second the opinion.

15. DiabSoule!

any suggestion as to what would capture the asc(0)s? real-time would be nice, but i would settle for a 2nd database.

16. are you sure it's not coming through already, and there's simply nothing for you to see? how are you outputting/presenting the data?

17. DiabSoule!

it's not coming through. either in access or with an ado query in vb. it will just skip the asc(0) characters and only display the asc(1) through to asc(3) characters. the only way i can see the asc(0) is with a 'database viewer' that came with the software (which just looks like a sql browser). unfortunately, no provisions in the software to export.

i am able to look for the asc(0)s and display them as a different character.. they are just being filtered out!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004