Administration

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by diesel, Apr 19, 2005.

1. diesel

diesel Guest

I got a quick question for you techies.. :) I have remote desktop setup on both my laptop (XP Pro) and my desktop (XP Pro)... I access them both from work but when one of them locks up or has a system hangup, is there a way that I can remotely reboot it from my other machine? Example, my laptop is not allowing me to remote desktop in, it just shows a black screen and will not give me a login prompt.. But I can get to my desktop fine.. And i can access the laptops hard drive via shared folders fine... But I cannot remote desktop from the desktop to the laptop either still gives me a black screen.. So is there any applications or any way that I can reboot the laptop from my desktop?!?! Again i am doing this all from work via remote desktop...

2. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Have you looked into WOL technologies? I have no practical experience with them, but I would imagine a reboot command could be issued from a working computer.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You can use tsshutdn. It should be installed with XP. run with /? for help with it. It can reboot an XP machine from another PC.

With the broken RDP session, you can try CTRL-ALT-END to try to bring up task manager (it is the same a CTRL-ALT-DEL on the remote machine)

4. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Use "shutdown -i" for an GUI based remote shutdown/reboot utility in XP.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

tsshutdn 0 /v /server:computername /reboot /DELAY:0

But Shutdown -i would probably work better for you. I never realized it had a GUI. What can I say, I loves the command line.