Adjustable weight dumbells.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dorn, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorn

Dorn New Member

How are these? I was thinking about picking some up just to do some exercises on between days. What ones are good, what should I be looking for?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

pass on them - they are never good quality and for the price you could buy a bunch of other shit.

3. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

The only "adjustable" DBs I have are two olympic DB handles and a bunch of 10lb plates (got them at a good discount price). It takes up some time to change it out but I don't mind. By the time I finish switching the weight my rest period would almost be up anyways. (mine can fit 6 10's per side with a little extra space beyond the collars which equals 132.5lb per DB).

4. TOAD

TOAD New Member

Power blocks are good quality. But as said above, pricey. Especially if you already have a gym membership.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I have some "standard" plate DB's that can fit up to 5 (if not five then four at the least) 10 lb plates on each side. The place where you put weight is threaded like a huge bold, and there's a large nut to screw on it to secure the weights in place. I don't like the fact that they chromed both that and the barbell that came with the set, because every time I screw on these things to secure the weight, it chips off little flakes of chrome all up on my floor and shit... I once got a piece embedded in my foot, now I'm more careful.

Anyway, they were not expensive and standard size 10lb plates are like two or three bucks a pop at sportmart. Cheaper and just as effective, aside for the obnoxious chroming problem. Also you can adjust weight and such pretty fast.

6. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

I just got some powerblocks, there great. But I bought mine used for a good price...but new there pretty expensive

7. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

P.O.S... if ur talking about the ones with a 52.5lb max... ur still gonna need a gym with bigger dumbbells when ur DB bench, bentover rows, etc. get better. thought about getting em actually (then thought about that). theres other things worth the money.

8. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

u talkin to me? Mine go up to 85 lbs and expandable to 125 lbs. I think thats adequate enough for me...

9. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

yeah, the bowflex version or whatever that go up to 52.5 lbs suck. too much money for too little weight. powerblocks are awesome. I used them a few summers ago.

10. sc1twntrbo

sc1twntrbo OT Supporter

The Elites are 349.00 for a pair. I don't know if you people shop around or not but they are cheaper than buy regular cast iron dumbbells and i can slide them under the bed. They took some getting used to but i love them. :bowdown:

11. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

I recently bought a set of the Powerblock Elites (up to 50lbs), and when some more $$ is freed up, will expand to 90lbs, then to 130lbs. For the time being, they do the job well, are balanced nicely and are incredibly convenient.

With a power rack, pulldown/low pulley station and the PBlocks, I can get a damn good workout in. Just need a hack/leg press station and I'm set.

[​IMG]

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

now that is a set up. attn: all home gym people. buy this set up - that is all you need.

13. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

And it cost me all of $1500 CDN. Best of all - the rack is 7"+ tall, so I can fully hang from it.

- Power rack (custom made with 1.5" holes / racks, not the standard 1")
    - Plate-loaded pulldown machine
    - Inc/Flat/Dec bench
    - 300lb Olympic set (want another couple of 45's)
    - V-bar, W-bar, long bar, single handle. Soon to come - rope.
    - Powerblock D-bells (currently up to 50, 90/130 to come).
    - couple of foam mats ($20/WalMart)
    - some bands (free, my wife had them lying around)
    - Ab underarm supports (not shown) - greatest ab invention ever for hanging leg raises - see black rack, under bike
    - plate rack

Next up:
    Atlantis Hack/calf raise sled.

I can do pretty much every body part HARD and don't have to pay some gym for the privilege of working out there. And I get to keep this forever :big grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.