Adire KIT51 Project.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Apr 4, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Got done cutting up the wood and drilling the holes yesterday. These speakers will be replacing the KLH's you see in the first pic. Adire emailed me on Thursday saying itll ship today but I doubt it.

I used a miter saw to cut out these pieces. On some of the longer ones I had to turn the wood around and cut from the other side. This was a lot quicker than using a circular saw with an edge guide.

Just the pieces of mdf inside an 1.15ft^3 enclosure I built for a car. I plan on practicing on how to carpet it this weekend.
    [​IMG]

3ft^3 subwoofer enclosure that houses a Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 w/ 250W Rythmik Audio plate amp. Tuned to 25 Hz.
    [​IMG]

Test fit the pieces and it fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]

Small DVD collection I have starting about a month ago. Finding Nemo was the first one I bought because I wanted to test the new subwoofer when Darla is tapping the glass.
    [​IMG]

I bought a hole saw kit at Harbor Freight (2.5"-5") for $5. For smaller holes Ill be using it with my brother's Milwaukee Hawg Drill (he's an electrician). For bigger holes, I just ordered a Bosch 1584AVSK Barrel Grip Jig Saw this morning for $130 on sale at Amazon.com
    [​IMG]

Dont know if I was giving it too little or too much pressure to burn the wood. Myabe its just a nature of MDF for the dust to make it like that.
    [​IMG]

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

looks great man!! i wanted to order a kit from adire but i'm too lazy to build an enclosure.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Thats the fun part.

4. 04

04 Guest

I bet those speakers will sound great. Much better than the KLH's :o

5. johnson

johnson New Member

To me, the KLH's dont sound bad at all. Its because I dont know what im missing out on.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

OK, I FINALLY got done with these speakers (not really though). What happened was Adire sent me my parts 2 weeks from order date. Got done building the crossovers and enclosures and come to find out that the speaker terminal cups they sent me used a 2.75" cutout instead of 3" like the plan said. When I put in the cups there was a HUGE gap so I emailed/called them and told what was up. We emailed back and forth for a few times then Chris decided to send me some dual ones with a much bigger square cutout. When I received the new cups, I said screw it, these are too big and the dual plugs are useless so I ordered some circle ones off eBay for about $5 a piece including shipping.

During the wait time these past couple days I bought a quart of white primer/sealer and put on 3 coats. Today I sanded them down (when I shouldve sanded them after each coat :() so some parts are still a little bumpy from the roller I used. I got impatient so I decided not to paint them gloss black like I had originally planned (already bought the paint too). I screwed everything together and just got done super gluing the front ports and hooked it up to my receiver. They are MUCH better than the KLH's. Since the receiver can do two sets of speakers, I just switched it back and forth.

I will try and get some pictures in the next couple days. Total spent on this project was around $200. Although I'm glad with the outcome, I'm not sure if it was worth it or not since I could've spent that money on some other speakers at that store that have a nice finish on them and probably sound as good.

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

very cool, i bought a new reciever and some new floor speakers this last week. it sounds great but i'm tempted to return them and get some def techs.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

What did you get?

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i got a denon 2105 and some energy c-5s. i'm thinking about returning the c-5s for some def tech 7002 or 7004s. after i get some cash i'm going to order an adire sub.

10. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Where did you get the Energy's from?

GoodGuys has been selling Energy C's for 1/2 off

11. johnson

johnson New Member

I want to get some Exodus LCR's but cant afford it right now.

12. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

yup thats where i got mine.

13. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

in all honesty i can not afford the retail of the def techs... they retail for 1100 for each floor and 800 for the center channel.. thank good for a good employee discount.

14. johnson

johnson New Member

$415 for each LCR = teh win for you

15. johnson

johnson New Member

Here it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

nice how do they sound.. adire drivers are great... i recently installed some of their car audio components and it was smooooth.

17. johnson

johnson New Member

They sound a lot clearer than the other speakers and are louder at the same volume. You got the Koda components?

18. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

no i installed them in a wrx.. i'm a car audio installer by day.

19. 04

04 Guest

They look good johnson :bigthumb:

I'd suggest building a pair of stands for them though :o (more DIY fun :) )

20. johnson

johnson New Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005