SRS ADHD help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Ripper, Apr 8, 2009.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

So I guess Ill start from the begining. When I was younger I was having trouble in school and trouble focusing. I was doing pretty bad before that all of the teachers thought I was just a shitty kid but this one teacher recomended I go see a dr. He diagnosed me with ADHD and then prescribed ritalin. I was on ritalin for about a year and a half and my grades significantly improved. I went from a C and D student to a A and B student.

My mom took me off of it when I was 10 because she found out that ritalin could be addicting and there was a history of alcoholism with my dad. So she was scared of that and took me off. As soon as she took me off the medication my grades started slipping. I learned to cope with ADHD and managed to get through school and even got through college with it.

The issue Im having now is that Im getting ready to go to law school and Im preparing for the LSAT. When I try to buckle down and study I really cant focus for more then 5 - 6 minutes at a time and I constantly drift off into space in the middle of problems. This is an issue because on the LSAT I dont have time to BS around and also when I go to law school I cant afford to go in at 60 - 70% of what Im capable of.

So I wanted to ask some of you on the forum who have adhd and are on meds how effective it was for you and what are the pros and cons. My main goal is to pass the LSAT and get through law school but the coping mechanisms I developed just arent working for me at this higher level of education. I feel that if Im not running at my full potential I wont be able to do this.

Is it worth it to go on add meds?
    What meds are they going to give me?
    What side effects do you guys have?
    Is it addicting?

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

What you've reported is typical of someone suffering from this condition.

It would be in your best interest to seek out a good psychiatrist (Use ratemd.com to find one).

They're going to give you the medications that they typically have the best results with, and the least risks. This doesn't mean you won't have to try a few others or that it's a guaranteed smooth ride.

Side effects varry between all the different patients taking different treatments.

Addiction really isn't as big of a problem as most people think. It's physicial dependence that most people suffer from when taking certain medications and that's entirely different from Addiction.

I would not worry about physicial dependence when it comes to needing an effective treatment. I would also suggest you stay on that treatment rather than coming back off again. There is no reason for you to suffer and to struggle so hard when options are available that will improve your quality of life.

The risk/benefits are what matter, and drug treatment for ADHD doesn't come with much risk most of the time when the patient follows directions and deals with their physician when told to.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

any idea how much a visit to a psychiatrist is gonna cost me? I might go next week if its not to much.

4. mine was $80/session but my medical insurance covered the first five visits. do u have insurance?

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I have insurance but Im not sure if they cover it Im going to give them a call today and see whats up.

6. yea that is the best thing to do.. they are usually pretty cool bout it.

7. Saluki

Saluki New Member

The insurance I have through my parents covered it with a referral (sp?) from my primary care. Getting my ADD treated was the best choice I've ever made, I can actually concentrate through a whole class now and do well on tests.

8. roddick

roddick New Member

Addiction isn't the main concern with add meds. Not sure how it is treated now, but used to be ritalin and adderall were the main ones. They can possibly have a high potential for abuse depending solely on you. But like they mentioned you need to definitely talk to a psychiatrist. If you have school insurance or another type of insurance it will more than likely be covered or a small copay per visit.

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

im going to hit up a local psych next week found a couple in my area

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

it sucks I was just talking about it to a freind of mine and he bassically told me adult add doesnt exist and its all in your head.. grrr

11. resistor

resistor New Member

It ended up costing me $1400 to get some adderall after all the lame tests I had to take.

12. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Lots of people say that about most mental health problems which is part of the reason a lot of things go undiagnosed. People who have problems are either too embarrassed or don't believe it's an actual problem and think it's just something they can fix with willpower.

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

With an insurance plan, co-payments are usually anywhere from 10-30 dollars -- on average, from my experience.

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Your friend is not a trained psychiatrist, or neurologist who specializes in Adult Attention Deficit Disorder I presume. Ignore his ignorance, the condition exists and can be caused by a variety of reasons. If you can find the underlying reason, work with your doctor to do so. If that can't be figured out, drug treatment is -- as far as I know -- the best course of action.

There are a variety of unproven alternative methods as well which apparently work based on ancedotal reports, but I would go with the science first and try to get treatment with the least risk/reward.

My mother has adult attention Deficit disorder. It was/is caused by brain damage in her case. The event took place while she was being born. Between an abnormal birth and being a premi, and the drugs they had her mother on, it caused damage in a variety of areas, one of those areas led to the typical symptoms of attention deficit disorder. Her case is extremely severe, but she performs well on heavy medication: About 450mg of Bupropion, 100mg of Topamax (if I remember correctly), and a high dose of Aricept, which is typically given for patients with Dementia. That's how severely impaired her illness is.

This is one cause. Other causes can be related to stress, psychological abuse or trauma, physical abuse and violence, drug-side effects, drug induced brain damage, as well as simply genetic factors, diet, lack of sleep, drug abuse etc or other factors outside the individuals within or outside the individuals control.

15. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

That's exactly correct. Ignorance of that sort in mental health is destructive.