SRS Adding to the job threads... story/rant

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by weezyfbaby, Oct 5, 2009.

1. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

I have recently been put into an unfortunate situation that I am sure I will encounter plenty of times in my life (I'm 25) and I am sure is common among many workers.

Here is some background:
    I graduated a few years ago and was immediately hired full time for a small family run manufacturing business. I was appreciative of the pay and the chance to prove myself considering my grades coming out of my state school were not the best. During my time here I have done many things, improved many aspects of the company, and learnt alot. I am pretty good with computers and took computer science in college so along with the accounting work I did, I would help with any computer problem that I could. Anyway, a few months ago our sister company was sold and with the sale went some of our employees, one of them being my direct supervisor/boss, the controller of the company. Since he has been gone I have assumed all of his responsibilities as well as taking care of my normal work, and also assuming the management position of pretty much the whole current office (about 7 or 8 people in the office).

Now, previously, under the direction of our old owner (brother in law of our new owner) I had been kinda pushed off with my reviews/raises for the past 2 years. I had received one raise (imo I was slighted, but I did not complain and it did not detract from my work ethic or work production accuracy/timeliness) and that was one year after my original hire. Since then I have received no salary increase or annual review of my work. I have talked with our new owner more than once about a review/salary increase due to my increased responsibilities and I get told that we will definitely get to it and that he just has to talk to the other owners (which with the way things are going around here currently, I doubt will ever really happen) about it.

I have prepared documents showing what my job title (controller) should be and the responsibilities related to the position. I have previous salary data for what my boss was getting paid (I don't think I should use this in negotiations though but would definitely like to somehow) and two printouts of salary medians for my position for my zip code. I plan on asking for slightly less than my boss was getting because the workload has decreased slightly due to the sale of the sister company and because I do not have the same experience he did despite the fact that I feel I do have the same, if not more, knowledge of the company and it's activity. This would put me well below the median and even the 10% of my area but to me the salary would be great, as well as the experience being shown on my resume. I am a fair guy and I think this is fair.

Well here is my problem. I keep getting pushed off. Excuses made. Owner(s) never in. Always leaving early. Yet the only thing that doesn't get pushed off is them (the owner and the vice pres [I guess?]) giving me more work, more deadlines to make, and expecting more of me. I am starting to get very stressed and upset and I have a HUGE feeling of underappreciation for what I have done, can do, and will do for this company. I am always on time. Always leave on time. I do not over use my personal or vacation days and I have never had a problem with any coworker in this office ever. Basically I do it all for this company and I am being paid peanuts and still even if I got the raise I am asking for (and KNOW I will not get) would still be vastly underpaid for what I do here.

I guess it is just a rant but if anyone can offer any stories from their life or any suggestions on how to handle this without pulling all of my (remaining) hair out of my head I would be much appreciative. It is nice to let go of this rant here and see what comes back.

If there is any other information needed please let me know.

Thanks for listening OT.

2. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

p.s. I'm sorry if some typos or grammar errors exist I typed this up really quick just wanted to get it out there.

3. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

At least you have a job. Keep pushing for what you want and in the meantime look for something else.

4. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:( wow... that sucks.

i assume that you were the next in line to assume said responsibilities? what i mean is, did you or did you not volunteer to take over for your boss? did you just do the work because it needed to be done? did someone physically tell you to complete the work.

if no one physically told you to complete the work, :sad2:, i hope you learned your lesson.

here is where you goofed:

once you took over your boss' position, you should have told them you'd accept the responsibilities, but you'd need to be compensated for them. until your hourly/salary pay reflected the change in position, you would continue to perform your normal work duties as listed.

certainly you wouldn't need to sound like an ass ;). you could've approached it by asking them if you were being promoted or if these job responsibilities were temporary. regardless, you should've been compensated no matter what.

as for what to do now, i don't know what you can do. i hate to say this, but they caught you.

while this is extremely risky, if you 100% without a doubt know that they cannot survive without you, i'd put in my resignation. once they approach you about it, tell them you can't continue to perform the work without being adequately compensated.

if that won't work... and you feel they just might terminate you,

i'd begin searching for another job. keep in mind you don't necessarily have to have a position title to list it on your resume. [;) go figure, you're not alone in this boat.] so, if you performed the same functions that your old boss had, list his title and the functions you performed on your resume. hopefully you'll snag a job, and then you can go to your bosses and tell them you're resigning. at this point, you'll have leverage, and you'd pry be able to get what you really deserve.

5. chica&buddies

btw, how long have you assumed your ex boss' position and responsibilities?

6. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

going on three months. I will respond to the longer post in a little I am headed out for a bit but basically I was told I was promoted and I'd get the salary bump soon. Meanwhile in still waiting. Yes I was next in line as well I was previously the assistant controller

7. chica&buddies

i see no recourse other than what i posted above.

unfortunately, they're free and clear to do what they want. from what i gather, the promotion was verbal only. therefore, you only have one option: try to back them into a corner to get what you want.

even though i know the economy sucks, why would you want to work for someone that treats their employees this way? :( do what you have to do to survive, but in all honesty, i would look elsewhere.

the best outcome is that you find a job, turn in your resignation, and your boss is all over you about what went wrong. if you're truly valued as an employee, they will pay you what you're worth.

:o if i were you, and a new job came along, i'd ask my current bosses for back pay in addition to a new hourly wage or salary pay. ~two weeks after cashing the check, i'd turn in my final resignation and explain that you've decided to pursue other opportunities. loyalties don't mean crap anymore, and even if you were able to get them to give you what you wanted, i'd still be a bit paranoid about them finding someone else to do it cheaper, ie, someone below you.

8. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

I realize this, which is what is making it harder for me to be more aggressive about my "wants".

9. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

That is my plan. I intend on adjusting my resume, seeing if anything comes in, and moving from there. I also plan on going to talk to my owner next time I get a chance (which is rarely since it's like I have to be on watch to find a time to talk to him or else he goes missing)

10. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

You don't think 3 months of this work and producing financials, going through insurance audits, helping with new software installation/integration (I am an accountant btw, not IT), being told I am responsible/in charge of everyone else in the office is "walking through the fire" enough? Considering I am still being paid what I was making 2 years ago.

Trust me, I know from this company that this is not a "walk through the fire" period. I believe the first two months might have been that way but by now, after being here for 3 years, I am getting the feeling I am trying to be played.

11. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

I agree with chica&buddies.

plan a meeting with a president, compile your case, and ask what they think... say that you feel you're not compensated enough and threaten to walk. I know it's risky but if they need you they will not let you go

12. chica&buddies

no, you're right. you are getting played.

the 30 day transition period was sufficient enough for you to "walk through the fire." :( i wish you would've asked that they document that little fact in writing.

13. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

I still trust that the owner will sit me down and iron this out within the next week. I have new confidence after my buddy got his review/raise for his 3 month period the other day. I'm going to give it a little longer before I seriously start another job hunt. Call me an idiot but I would like to stay (for a higher salary obviously) so I'll give them a little longer.

14. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

well they ended up offering me 5k more and then another 5k after another 60-90 day review period :rofl:

fuck this place man