Adding RAM to a laptop...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Girlfriend has a Dell Inspiron 5100, came with two sticks of 128 she wants to get rid of one of the 128's and add a 512. Dell wants $135 for the stick of 512 and she wants to have this local computer store install it for her, they want $60/hour to do this. Question is, how hard is this to do? Is this something I could do and save her the money or no?

2. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

dunno about dells, but on my girlfriend's ibm thinkpad it was just as easy as changing it on a desktop. pop off a cover and slap it in. there should be a panel at the bottom that you can remove to access just the ram.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Go to Crucial.com and enter the model number in the memory selector. If its any more complicated than removing a screw and pulling off the door, they'll say something like "professional installation required". Installing RAM on Dells is generally VERY easy. Just be sure to remove the power and battery before installing anything.

4. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I added a stick of RAM to my Toshiba laptop. Took <2 minutes to accomplish, and that was with me taking a few breaths.

5. jiggilo

jiggilo Technics > *

It shouldnt be any harder than doing it on a desktop computer (takeing off a panel with a screw, locating where the ram is and popping a new stick in). If you want to purchase ram for possibly cheaper, i would have to agree www.crucial.com is a great place (Espcially for picking the exact memeory you need by putting in your laptops model)

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Heck on every laptop I've ever seen adding RAM is easier than adding RAM to a desktop.

Crucial is definitely a great site.

7. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I have a 5100. Its as easy as unscrewing one of the panels on the bottom and popping the stick out.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$60/hr is reasonable -- but it should only take 5 minutes, which totals $5 labor. The shop will prolly get you on a "1 hour minimum" tho.