Adding cinnamon to your foods

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sammo, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

From what I've read it helps with insulin regulation and has very good antioxidant properties, usually I toss a teaspoon or so into my coffee in the morning.

Anyone else tried this?

2. turbage

turbage New Member

plenty of diabetics at the pharmacy swear by it.

but take it in capsule form, not sprinkling the shit on oatmeal.

3. keeler

keeler New Member

an antioxidant? I've read that cinnamon contains naturally occurring carcinogens...
    I eat the stuff, but I don't think I would supplement it.

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Antioxidant activity of cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum, Breyne) extracts.
    Mancini-Filho J, Van-Koiij A, Mancini DA, Cozzolino FF, Torres RP.

Faculdade de Ciências Farmacêuticas, Depto. de Alimentos e Nutrição Experimental, São Paulo, Brasil.

JUSTIFICATION: Lipid oxidation is one of the major changes that can occur during processing, distribution, storage and final preparation of foods. The oxidation could be prevented by adding synthetic or natural antioxidants in spite of safety of synthetic ones has been questioned. This situation promotes increasing demand for food additives of natural origin. OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to evaluate the antioxidant activity of cinnamon extracts. METHODS: Cinnamon samples were obtained at local market, milled (32 mesh sieve) and submitted to sequential extraction using as solvents: ether, methanol and water. The antioxidant activity in the extracts was measured by the b-carotene/linoleic acid system, at 50 degrees C and absorbances reading at 470 nm every 15 min intervals for 120 min. Two controls were used in this determination: one with synthetic antioxidant (BHT, 100 ppm) and other without antioxidant. The water extract was fraccionated using silica Gel 60 and 60G and through chromatographic processes: thin layer, (T.L.C.) and column, using BAW as mobile phase and ethylacetate, petroleum ether, methanol and water as eluent, respectively. RESULTS: The etheric (0.69 mg), methanolic (0.88 mg) and aqueous (0.44 mg) cinnamon extracts, inhibited the oxidative process in 68%; 95.5% and 87.5% respectively. The BHT control inhibited 80% oxidation. The spray reagents (1) beta-carotene/linoleic acid and (2) Fe Cl3/K3 Fe (CN)4 1% sol, showed spots in T.L.C. with antioxidant activity (1) and blue color (2), indicating the presence of phenolic compounds with Rf values of 0.50. Five fractions were obtained by column partition with antioxidant activity and the presence of phenolic compounds. SIGNIFICANCE: These results suggest that the cinnamon extracts can be used as food antioxidant together with the improvement of food palatability. Further studies are in processing of analysing the sinergic association of extracts with synthetic antioxidant and to identify compounds with antioxidant activity in cinnamon extracts.

But it has to be a certain extract

5. keeler

keeler New Member

Thanks a lot science-fag. I'm not reading that.

6. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Science-fag?

Wow.

7. LancerV

You only have to read one sentence:coolugh:

Kids now days holy shit

8. chizzle

chizzle New Member

You're an idiot...

9. keeler

keeler New Member

i'm sorry but reading the results from one experiment is not going to sway my opinion. If your looking for antioxidants then go with an already proven one, there are plenty. personally i go with green tea.

10. LancerV

Post your proof that cinnamon is a carcinogen. Unless you're a fly larva its not a carcinogen

And since you're so hooked on green tea, it lowers IGF-1 in the blood.

"Researchers examined how the green tea antioxidant affected a protein known as insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). Increased levels of IGF-1 have been found in men with prostate cancer.

They found that mice that received the green tea antioxidant had lower levels of IGF-1 in their blood.

"These observations bear significance in light of studies that indicate increased levels of IGF-1 are associated with increased risk of several cancers, such as prostate, breast, lung and colon," says researcher Hasan Mukhtar, PhD, of the department of dermatology at the University of Wisconsin, in a news release.

Researchers say the green tea antioxidant appeared to stall cell growth by decreasing production of several proteins that promote cell survival. In addition, it reduced the production of proteins that are known to be associated with the spread of cancer cells.

Finally, the study also suggests that the antioxidant in green tea appeared to starve prostate cancer tumor cells by inhibiting the formation of blood vessels, thereby suppressing the flow of nutrients to the cancerous cells."

ibtoomuchreading

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

fucking idiot :greddy:

12. Mint

Mint Active Member

:gtfo2:

13. keeler

keeler New Member

cinammon contains Coumarin which has been shown to be a carcinogen in rodent studies. i'm not going to copy/paste part of a wiki article, look it up yourself.

14. LancerV

You fail

15. keeler

keeler New Member

maybe you didn't understand. it was a reference to the fact that my source wasn't a wiki article, but maybe that one went over your head.

16. Drewski

Drewski New Member

so you'll let the results of one experiment referenced in wiki sway your opinion but not the one quoted here. one you weren't even willing to read :rolleyes:

coumarin is only high in cassia bark, aka powdered cinnamon. if you buy cinnamon bark (ceylon cinnamon), you're fine as it has neglibible amounts of courmarin

17. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

jesus christ I hate lancer as much as the next guy but keeler you're a fucking faggot :ugh:

18. keeler

keeler New Member

19. RG

RG New Member

i used to add cinnamon to my choc oats, tasted pretty good

20. LancerV

21. chizzle

chizzle New Member

No one said it had to sway your opinion, but what's the point of calling him a science-fag?

22. LancerV

Dont buy the cheap stuff and you will be fine. Also just an FYI were not like rats when it comes to coumarin. We process it into another chemical. Coumarin is a form of rat poison. Hey raids a nerve agent precursor to exoskeleton animals, and some smaller animals but humans dont go choking over from it because we dont metabolize it the same way.

Coumarin and cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon marketed in Italy: A natural chemical hazard?
    Lungarini S, Aureli F, Coni E.

National Centre on Food Quality and Risk Assessment, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy.

Some plants that are processed into foods often contain natural substances that may be hazardous to human health. One example is coumarin, which is known to cause liver and kidney damage in rats, mice and probably humans. The main source of coumarin in the diet is cinnamon. The name 'cinnamon' is correctly used to refer to Ceylon cinnamon, also known as 'true cinnamon'. However, other plant species are sometimes sold with the label of cinnamon. This is the case of Cinnamomun aromaticum (cassia). In recent years, due to its cheaper price, cassia is replacing true cinnamon in the European food market being largely used in the preparation of some kinds of sweets. Several European health agencies have recently warned against consuming high amounts of cassia due to its high content of coumarin. In this study, 34 samples of cinnamon and 50 samples of cinnamon-containing foodstuffs were collected from the Italian market. Quantitative determinations of coumarin and cinnamaldehyde were performed by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with diode array detector (DAD). The analytical method was in-house validated assessing recovery, repeatability, linearity, limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantitation (LOQ). The results showed that about 51% of cinnamon samples consisted of cassia, 10% were probably a blend of cassia and Ceylon cinnamon, whereas only 39% were actually Ceylon cinnamon. As far as cinnamon-containing foods are concerned, the samples often exceeded the maximum level fixed in the European Flavourings Directive of 2 mg kg(-1).

23. LancerV

Notice this one is talking about MICROgram not milligram that you posted

Quantification of free coumarin and its liberation from glucosylated precursors by stable isotope dilution assays based on liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometric detection.
    Rychlik M.

Lehrstuhl für Lebensmittelchemie der Technischen Universität München, Lichtenbergstrasse 4, D-85748 Garching, Germany. [email protected]

A stable isotope dilution assay for the quantification of free coumarin and glucosylated coumarin precursors has been developed using [13C2]-coumarin as the internal standard. The doubly labeled coumarin was synthesized by reacting [13C2]-acetic anhydride with salicylic aldehyde and characterized by means of mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) experiments. The specifity of liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry enabled unequivocal determination and sensitive quantitation of the odorant. Because of the very simple extraction procedure, free coumarin could be analyzed within 1h. For quantification of total coumarin, the odorant was liberated from its precursors by an incubation with hydrochloric acid or beta-glucosidase. In analyses of breakfast cereals, the intra-assay coefficient of variation was 9.9% ( n = 5) for total coumarin. When coumarin was added to butter cookies at a level of 10 microg/kg, a recovery of 94.1% was found. Further addition studies revealed a detection limit of 2.9 microg/kg and a quantification limit of 8.6 microg/kg. Application of the stable isotope dilution assay to several plants, foods, and essential oils revealed high contents in cassia products and those foods in which cassia has been used as an ingredient. In contrast to this, Ceylon cinnamon contained much less coumarin. The odorant was also quantified in woodruff, clover seeds, and the essential oils of lavender, citron, and chamomile. Only trace amounts were detected in carrots and the essential oils of peppermint and dill, whereas in bilberries, black raspberries, and Angelica roots, coumarin was below detectable levels. In Ceylon cinnamon and cassia, the odorant occurred mainly in its free form, whereas in fenugreek seeds and woodruff, 68 and 88% of the total coumarin content was liberated from glucosylated precursors, respectively.

24. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

yeah science-fag...I'd rather be straight-retarded any day! Literacy owns me!

25. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.