Adding a second computer to broadband connection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I'd like to add a second computer on my existing cable connection. What do I need to do this?

I don't care about wireless since the new system will be located fairly close to my existing one; I just want to do whatever's cheapest that can provide a fast connection with plenty of bandwidth to both systems.

I was wondering, is there any way to vary the bandwidth going to one computer (preferably from the other computer, ie within a software program)? What I'm thinking is, I don't want someone downloading stuff on the other system to slow down my connection too much if I'm gaming or also downloading something.

Also, is there a convenient way to browse/share folders between the two computers? I.e. if I want to obtain a file that was downloaded onto the other system?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Depends partly on your ISP. If you're allowed two IP addresses, then you can just connect both computers to the cable modem via a hub. If you're only allowed one IP then pick up a router.

As for sharing, if both computers are running Windows, then if you connect them through a hub/switch/router then you should be able to see their shared folders from each other. If they're not both Windows machines, then FTP works well.

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Thanks for the info, I'll have to find that out from my isp. :)

They'll definately both be running windows, probably one XP Pro and the other 2000 Pro.

4. 0x1A4

0x1A4 Guest

You can use a gateway router. A gateway will log onto your broadband connection and either always be on, or only log on when your computer tries to access the internet.

A gateway would be viewed by the broadband connection as a client, but on the computer side of the gateway, you're setting up your own local network with a DHCP setup that assigns each computer an IP.

This is how I have mine at home set up through SBC. You have to find out what type of connection you have, enter your un and pw, and plug some computers into it, and that's pretty much it.

5. freakyZ

freakyZ New Member

You can get a Linksys Cable Router for about $60 and a CAT5e cable. Hook that up to your modem and just connect the PCs to the router. It is cheap and easy.
    You can have two IPs but then you would have to pay extra and that would be dumb.
    About the connection software connection, as far as I know, that is not possible.
    To share files, you have to make sure File and Print Sharing is enabled. right click My Network properties and go to properties. Then, do the same thing for your Local Area Connection and make sure File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks is checked.
    Once you do that, just share whicever files you want and whenever you click on My Network places the files will appear in there.
    If you have any firewalls set up, you will have to configure them so the 2 computers can see each other.

6. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

How much is a gateway router & what are some good brands? Is the Linksys mentioned a gateway?

I'll be able to print from both computers if File & Print Sharing is enabled, right?

Thanks for the help. :big grin:

7. freakyZ

freakyZ New Member

I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 (Etherfast Cable/DLS Router) It works great for me and haven't had any problems. It cost me around $65ish. A router is a default gateway or to an extent.

Yes, you will be able to print from both computers.

8. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

Also, if you dont want to spend to much money, you could just get your self a normal cheap network hub and coneect the cable modem into it and then both your PC's into the hub.

Then to restrict the download limit on the other pc, install a program called netlimiter and you can cap the downloads :)
    I dont know how fast your connection is, but i have 512kb adsl that me and my bro share.

When he is playing counter-strike and i want to download something, i just cap my downloads at around 10 kbs and it works fine.
    Also, you can both be playing counter-strike online at once and you NEVER LAG! wich is cool.

When both in a server we usually get below 30 ping and this is just with a standard crappy hub.
    But if you want more controll over your network, do what the other guys have said. :wiggle:

9. freakyZ

freakyZ New Member

That Netlimiter sounds like a good program, but I don't understand how u set up your connection with a hub?
    Do you have a server handing out IPs? What about your ISP and having one IP? A hub does not use NAT. I'm just curios, thats all. Or maybe I just can't think right now and I should know that works.

10. Penguin Man

Connecting both computers to a cable modem via a hub will only work if your ISP allows you to have two connections (two IP's) like mine does. If you only get one IP then you'll need a router.

11. freakyZ

freakyZ New Member

With my ISP (Adelphia), we can only have one IP and if want another one, we have to pay for it. Of coourse, thats why I use a Router.

12. Penguin Man

I have an old Linux box acting as a firewall/router because I'm allowed two IP's and have five computers running off the connection.

13. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

So a router & a gateway router are essentially the same thing? I see some makers selling products called each name (ie a 'router' for $40 and a 'gateway router' for $55); which is why I'm a little confused.

What about the printing question... will I be able to print from both computers (when only one computer is physically connected to a printer) if I set it up properly in windows?

Any brand preference between D-Link/Netgear/Belkin/etc? Or are they all the same? Some people seem to be having problems with Linksys routers...

14. Penguin Man

Yeah, AFAIK they're pretty much the same thing. Linksys and Netgear are both very good brands. D-Link is not advised unless you're on a really tight budget. As long as your router also acts as a switch/hub you'll be able to share the printer. This one and this one will both do what you want. I've only had personal experience with the Linksys one and it was a breeze to setup and AFAIK there haven't been any problems with it (it's not mine, it's my boss's, but I set it up for him).

15. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

A Netgear is about the same as a D-Link, so I'll get that if it's better... I see more reviews for the D-Link than the Netgear though (which are positive for both)... is D-Link a lesser quality brand then?

16. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

I had this same router for about 2 days before I took it back. When I was downloading, or even when the system was just idle, the router would disconnect every hour, sometimes multiple times per hour and I would have to reset the router to get my signal back. If I unpluged the cat5 from the router and plugged it directly into my ethernet card, it would work without a problem, but when I plugged it back into the router, no connection. I called tech support for both Road Runner (my ISP) and Linksys, and neither or them could figure out any problem, telling me I had everything set up correctly and that I had already taken all the steps that they would have taken to troubleshoot the problem. I've already had problems with 2 Linksys wireless cards too, I personally won't be buying anymore products from Linksys. If it works for others, that greats, more power to you, just thought I would share my experience. From what I've read on reviews of that router, it seems I wasn't the only one having the problem either. In retrospect, it was probably a problem with a faulty router from the onset, as it was a bear to get the thing to connect to my second PC (I found out later when I went to open a webpage that this was because it disconnected itself from the net completely, that's why it wouldn't even see the second PC). Overall, I had a bad experience with this router, although many are using it and are happy with it, it just didn't work for me.

I am now using a D-Link Express EtherNetwork 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router, Model DI-604 and I haven't had a single problem, and it hasn't disconnected once since I first set it up. Easy installation and setup. And it was $9 cheaper than the Linksys.

EDIT: Seems like I'm not the only one on OT that had/has this same problem: Case and Point -> http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1055501

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  17. Penguin Man

D-Link has a reputation for being pretty cheap quality (as reflected by the price). I've personally never had a problem with a D-Link product, but all I've used from them is a couple NIC's.

18. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I can't find anyone with anything bad to say about the Netgear, so I think I'll get that. My friend likes both of his, and it's relatively cheap. :big grin:

Thanks for your guys' advice. :)