Adding a printer to a wireless network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HaydenMac, Jun 7, 2008.

1. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Here's what I have:

Actiontec MI424WR wireless router from Verizon FIOS

HP laser printer with Ethernet port

Apple computers running OSX 10.4.x with wireless Airport cards

The Mac's get their internet wirelessly from the router, but I would like to throw the HP printer onto the network without attaching it to a specific Mac and using printer sharing.

So in other words, I want the Macs to be able to roam and keep the printer in some central location separate from any Mac.

What kind of wireless routing solution would I need to attach to the printer, and how would I configure it so it would be on the same network as the Actiontec? I'm fairly PC-literate, just don't want to get the wrong device or over-pay for something I really don't need.

Wireless router? Wireless access point? Thanks OT :)

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Is the printer going to be far from the router? Since the printer has an ethernet port, you could just get a wire and plug it into your router. If you need wireless, look into a wireless print server that connects to the printer via usb or parallel port.

3. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

It is going to be far - on another floor. Way too much cable to string around hallways and up stairs. What kind of wireless print server would I need for a multi-floor house?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

5. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no problem dude. I love reading the recockulous shit these idiots come up with. you need solutions, come talk to me.

7. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

I appreciate it, broseph. Any advice on best place to buy these things? Amazon of course, but in case it arrives and is a brick, I like the ease of returnability.\

Edit: I see Staples has them :wiggle: woot!

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

any store should carry those. staples, office depot, circuit city, best buy. whatever.

9. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

As Jolly mentioned, wireless bridge is the way to go since your printer already has a built in network print driver. The trick is getting a printer networked that wasn't designed to do so originally because your boss is a cheap douchebag...like using a USB -> Wireless bridge. Pain in the fucking ass.

10. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

So I could have ordered it online, but because I was going to be in the neighborhood, I went to Staples. Nothing there.

Circuit City was right next door. Nothing there.

Microcenter was around the corner. All three stores' employees were utter douches, but I found the bridge in the clearance rack. I was :eek3: at my luck :x:

2 mins of set up, and then I tried to print from my computers in the house and it WORKS!

:h5: for your help!!!

11. awns729

awns729 New Member

Ah, glad you got it working.

If you had just got this printer, I would have suggested just buying one with built in wireless capabilities.

Have a question for you (or anyone who can answer it) though, can you mess with all the model-specific printer settings since it's operating over the wireless bridge? Does that even make a difference?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes because the printer is has the jetdirect (or whatever print server it has) built in. the device he bought is simply a bridge. It is nearly transparant to devices on the network since it only functions at layer 2 of the osi model.

13. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Right, had I known people were going to be douches about where they wanted the printer after agreeing that it was going to be hooked up to the primary computer in our network I'd have gotten the wireless model.

Yes, I can still get into the printer via it's http:// interface, no difference. Being able to leave the printer in a central location and not worrying about leaving a computer on and attached to it is fantastic :bigthumb: