Adding a moonroof?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tunafizzle, Nov 18, 2006.

1. tunafizzle

tunafizzle New Member

I'm thinking of making my own moonroof for my classy 1993 ford taurus. In all seriousness how hard can it be? Cut a hole, mount glass, make sure it sealed well, then clean it up. I imagine the most difficult part would be finding a saw the cut through the roof somewhat cleanly. Anyone else ever have this idea?

2. I think its going to be a lot harder than you expect. A lot. Could be wrong don't qoute me.

3. depnds. did taurus's ever have moon roofs from the factory? If so it mights just have a sheetmetal cover over the opening. Kinda like 4th gen f-bodies (all the hardtops have the t-top structure.

If it wasnt a factory option then there will probably be some supports there (which I wouldn't recommend cutting.

4. tunafizzle

tunafizzle New Member

I do recall seeing tauri from my era (91-94ish) having sunroofs. I'll look around and see if I can find a blueprint of the frame. I'm not sure how serious I am about this yet. But it is a 93 taurus, so what do i have to lose?

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

might get noisy in the car when you take it on the highways.

6. tunafizzle

tunafizzle New Member

Funny you should mention that, the whole entire console, steering wheel, everything starts to shake real bad once I take it over 65mph. Its been doing since at least 1996, the previous owners kept nice maintance records.

7. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I don't suppose any of that would be hard at all. However, the challenge comes in whether that year actually had an option, just like was mentioned. I remember wanting to add an "inside slider" moonroof to my 1993 Achieva but ASC told me it would be unsafe and wouldn't do it. They'd do a pop-up one, IMHO is a waste of time. The roof bracing just wasn't there. Granted, you can go all out and add additional bracing but you're into money and time there.

As was mentioned I did have a buddy who very successfully turned his hard top Camaro (4th gen, 1998) into a t-top.

8. tunafizzle

tunafizzle New Member

Well i just want a fixed moonroof, I really don't care about opening it. It's more about just seeing if I can actually do it fairly well. I really cant see it being that hard.

9. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

if you really want one that bad, i would just buy another car that has a sun/moon roof. May seem easy but its going to be really hard to keep it from leaking. Even the aftermarket ones will leak after a while. Alot of the fbody guys convert their hardtop cars to t-tops cars. Some are successful but most end up leaking at some point. If you good at stuff like that then give it a shot, but if you haven't done anything like this before, save you self the headaches and forget about doing it.

10. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

If you use the right grade of flexible caulking you will be fine and it shouldn't leak for many years.

11. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

ditch your GL model for an SHO with the moonroof.