Adding a 300GB hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wizeguy4, Oct 19, 2005.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

So my hard drive is in the middle of taking a crap on my and so I am looking at getting a new one

So I am looking to upgrade from 200 to a 300gb hard drive.

The probelm is that I remember when I added my 200 gb hard drive that there was an issue of windows not recognizing anying over 137gb. But I also had an 80gb drive (so 2 drives total) on that comp and windows was running on the 80gb and I used some disk to add my second larger drive

I do not have that luxury this time around. There will be only one drive and the 300gb is it. It will be needing to be formated and have windows and all my backup info added.

Do I just add this hard drive and then install windows and let windows recognize it as 137gb first, and then run the software to allow it to see the entire drive?

Is there any real benefit to partitioning the drive, one for storage and one for applications? I was thinking of partitioning it but do not see any real advantage to it.

Thanks

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

A smaller logical drive has smaller cluster size, which means more real storage capacity. The bigger your drive is, the larger your clusters will be.

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

so maybe I should split it into maybe a smaller 10gb and the rest for storage? Any thoughts on the adding it part?

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

To be honest, I'd just do it all in 1 partition. Lots of drive letters get annoying in windows. I was only saying there is an advantage to splitting it up, but I don't know how practical it is.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Maybe 300GB is more than you need? DVD-RWs are your friends.
    2. Make a separate partition of ~1050MB and put your swap file in it. Don't use it for ANYTHING else. This way your swap file can change size as it needs to without ever getting fragmented. Your computer will run faster after a couple of years with this setup than it would otherwise.

6. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

just get 2 120GB's and set em with RAID.

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

they have been my friend for 2 years now. I have 2 that I use together actually

The reason for the 300 gb is because I looked at like an 80gb and for a few buck more I can get a 120 but for a few bucks more I can get a 160 and for a few bucks more I can.........get the picture. So that is how I ended up at 300

8. chips

chips ...

If you are runing SP2 you will not have the issue with the 137gb limit

9. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If you're running XP period (no-SP, SP1 or SP2) you shouldn't have any problems with drive size limit...atleast not at 300GB.
    I've got a 200GB in mine running XP SP1 with no issues at all.

The only reason I can think of that would cause this is if you're running Win98/SE or ME