adding a 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by saabguy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

so an old dell desktop shit the bed a while ago and we got a new one and have had it for about a year or so. i'm finally trying to get the data off the old hard drive...from what i've been able to find, it looks like i can just yank the old HD out, open the new computer tower, and plug it right in.

first question...the HD from the old computer is connected with the wide ribbon-type plug (is that SATA?) and the new computer just has the thin bundle of wires (IDE?). do i just buy a SATA to IDE converter like this:

[​IMG]

and then just fire up the computer? i saw someone say that i'd have to go into the bios and set it up correctly...what exactly should i be trying to do in bios?

TIA.

2. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Other way around. IDE is the wide ribbon, Sata is the thin wire. Boot first from your new computer's HD, and the rest will follow. (you can configure that in BIOS)

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

As said, the wide ribbon is IDE.

Just make sure your primary boot device in your BIOS is your current hard drive. You can then attach your IDE harddrive with an adapter or an IDE cable (if your mobo has attachment for one).

When you boot Windows you will see your secondary harddrive listed in My Computer or Windows Explorer. If Windows won't load or doesn't load properly go into your BIOS and make sure your SATA drive has boot priority.

4. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

Current mobo doesn't have an IDE cable, so I'll pick up an adapter. Is there any benefit to keeping that 2nd hard drive connected permanently?

5. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Yeah, you can use it as a storage drive/expand your storage space.

6. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

ok, i had to order the IDE-SATA converter and have it all hooked up. i have the primary HD booting first. now how do i get the data off the old HD without formatting it? wouldn't that basically wipe it all out? old HD was on an XP computer and new computer is vista. here's where i've got to so far...

[​IMG]

7. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

You don't want to format the old drive. Just open up both drives from "My computer", and drag and drop the files from the old drive into the new one.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I see no other drive other than your boot OS and your optical drive

9. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

So if I'm not seeing it under My Computer then it's not hooked up correctly? In BIOS I can see both, I'm just choosing to boot the main HD.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Well My Computer is different from Disk Manager - My computer will only show formatted partitions that are valid to the OS (ie FAT32, NTFS). But what you've shown here tells me that Windows is not recognizing the drive. You should see a Disk 1 that describes your other HD, not an optical drive.

11. cbanta

cbanta New Member

something isn't quite right,

You hooked power up to it right?
    are your cables fully seated?

what caused your old computer to bite the dust?

12. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

so here's the deal...my old hard drive was IDE and the new computer is SATA, no place to connect the old IDE, so I bought an IDE to SATA mini vertical bridge. i hooked it up like so:

[​IMG]

i didn't see another place to plug in the SATA cable, so i unplugged the CD Rom drive and used that spot. also, there was a 3rd connection on the vertical bridge, kind of looks like this (the one on the bottom of the picture):

[​IMG]

and that is plugged in as well. anyway, i can start up the computer, go into the boot setup, and it will show both HD's. i can choose which one to boot, turn them on or off, set the boot priority. i even did the HD Diagnostic and it said they both passed. but when they're both plugged in and i try to boot the original one from my new computer, the Windows button pops up like it's starting, then the green progress bar starts scrolling across the screen, then the screen just goes blank and nothing happens. so how do i get it to boot properly so i can then access the old HD, which appears to be hooked up properly?

13. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

STOP.

I think this is turning out to be harder then it really needs to be.

The biggest issue you have is that you have a SATA drive and your current computer doesn't have any SATA connectors.

Until this thread I had never come across a SATA to EIDE connector before. I am kind of flummoxed. I wouldn't think that would work. If you are having issues getting things working with it.... I have to say I am not really surprised.

I have one suggestion, then I have what is really the ultimate solution.

The suggestion is that you right click on the blank drive in the picture (go back to where you were, computer managment and all that. Look for an option that says something like 'Mark partition as active'. There might be something that says something like 'initialize disk'.
    Try that. But be careful. If at any part it wants you to format then back out. Your instinct is correct formatting is bad (well in this instance anyways).

Okay I promised a solution.

I am kind of surprised no one has said this yet.
    Purchase an external SATA enclosure. Be done with it.

Here I have done some work for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010092+1054107131+1053807123&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=92&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

You can go ahead and purchase by price. There is no real reason to spend big bucks here. I see some for $20. Get one of those.

By going this route you are circumventing a lot of problems.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

:rofl:

wtf @ the new motherboard
    srsly? only 1 SATA port? and if the CD ROM is hooked up to that, I assumed there's nothing hooked up to the IDE

i think you are fucking up
    what's the new mobo? specs?

15. cbanta

cbanta New Member

I was thinking the same thing as this, BUT I think thats the 39mb of unpartitioned space on Drive 0. (your pc should probably have something similar mine does)

I do agree the external is the easiest solution, the easiest, it would be interesting to know what the real issue is.
    also he needs one of these ones as the old drive has an IDE interface not SATA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

16. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

My bad. I got confused. Thought it was the other way around.

17. 5Gen_Prelude

I'm pretty sure that not one thing you said is close to being anywhere near being accurate.

18. 5Gen_Prelude

And you - you know better too. New HD is sata, new cdrom is sata - both ports are being used.

19. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

so i don't screw this up any more or give any wrong/inaccurate info...

Here's the old HD on the old Dell PC (IDE)

[​IMG]

Here's the "new" Dell PC opened up

[​IMG]

Here's what I already bought from newegg, a IDE Device -> SATA Device Mini Vertical Bridge

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156010

[​IMG]

close-up of the new computer, the orange SATA cable is for the CD rom, which I remove

[​IMG]

Here's the adapter connected to the old IDE HD

[​IMG]

Here's the old HD hooked up to the new computer using the adapter

[​IMG]

And now i turn on the computer and see this is what i'm seeing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i boot up and it starts doing this before just going dark:

[​IMG]

if i deactivate the HD so i can at least get it to boot up, this is what I get in the My Computer screen when I try to select the "Removable Disk (G):"

[​IMG]

hopefully this makes sense to somebody...

20. cbanta

cbanta New Member

on your old drive do you see that white jumper pin between the power and ide connector? that controls weather its a primary slave or cable select, for what your doing with it, you want it to be slave or cable select, what does that say it is? (there should be a diagram on the HD)

Also,

in your BIOS there should be a setting labeled something to the extent of SATA handling or something similar, set that one to LEGACY and that might fix it

21. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

When I was writing it I switched around in my head that the drive he was trying to get working was SATA and not PATA.

So the search link I gave for an external case is not accurate. Someone else covered my ass with that, use that guys search link.

The EIDE to SATA converter on the other hand.... I have never come across one before. SATA controllers look for the data to come in in SERIAL (that means one bit at a time). PATA controllers (which in this thread are being called EIDE...) are PARALLEL controllers. That means that the data comes in next to itself. In effect you get bits coming down the wire side by side.
    It would seem logical that Parallel would be faster then Serial. But, the new technology being what it is... SATA is faster.

I am having trouble imagining an adapter that can convert one thing to another that can simply be plugged into the end of a cable like that. To me it just seems that these things are worlds apart and you would need something a bit more complicated then a grey box that sits inline between two cables.
    So I go by what I said, if dude purchased such a creature - and it doesn't seem to be working.... well I am not surprised.

Having said all that. And admitting that I got confused on what type of drive the problem drive is.
    You CAN buy (they have been around for a decade now) PCI cards that give you EIDE ports on them. (I looked for PCI cards a while back that gave you SATA ports, I recall finding one or two, but they gave terrible throughput, it turned out that the PCI spec doesn't allow for data to go as fast as SATA needs. The cards that do offer SATA ports where cards that got plugged into a spare video card slot).
    So if dude wants this drive inside his computer then he really only needs to buy a PCI card.
    So that is a 2nd solution.

About right clicking on the empty box in the management screen.... when you bring up a new drive in Windows you need to tell it to do something with that drive. I can't remember off the top of my head what the command is exactly, but you will get a drive in that screen with no letter attached to it, you right click and you get a command that is called something like 'initialize drive' or something like that.
    I don't think this is the guys issue. I think the issue is that device he bought to plug into the end of the cable. But it can't hurt for him to look for the command.

22. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

One of these days someone is going to put up a thread like this, I am going to see that they are within about 20 miles and I am just gonna drive down to there house and do it for them.

Only fuck with the BIOS if the computer fails to boot once you install the new drive.

You should be able to get the new drive to run through the console management screen alone.

By screwing with the bios you might tell the PC to boot from the drive you just installed. That would be a bad thing.

23. cbanta

cbanta New Member

Thats not the case if the Bios is set to handle the drives in the wrong method, I have to change these settings on some computers when we image them to let the software recognize them. He may have to change BIOS settings to get it to recognize it.

24. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

i ordered one of these last night:

[​IMG]

hopefully i have better luck than with the adapter i'm currently struggling with...

if you look at the reviews from newegg on the one i already have, it seems other people were able to get it to work correctly, so i'm pretty annoyed that it wouldn't work for me. oh well...

25. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

^^^friend from another forum recommended this instead of what i was trying, $4.95 on ebay so we'll see.