SRS Addictive personality- weed, alcohol, cigarettes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by saynotopopo, Oct 3, 2007.

1. saynotopopo

saynotopopo New Member

I figured this would be an appropriate place to make my first post, considering that I'm trying to start a new lifestyle.

I think I'm on the right track. All the advice in this thread has helped me a lot, but I'm not quite "there" yet. I've been smoking weed for the past two and a half years, everyday, multiple times a day. The days that I didn't smoke were few and far between (not personal choice, usually just dry), and I was always craving it on those days. I became lazy, unmotivated, and apathetic. My grades plummeted and I didn't really have that much confidence in myself (among countless other negatives that I can see).

Alright, so that's the abridged version of the weed story, onto alcohol. I never really enjoyed drinking all that much until this summer, and it became an everyday thing. As soon as school started, and I wasn't working, I felt like I had more free time for some reason. Now that we have a roommate that's 21, and we can just send him to the packy, alcohol became more readily available (compared to calling people to get it). Before long I was going through a 30 in 3 days, 2 days on the weekends, and I would drink in the morning sometimes, if only to get rid of the hangover from the night before. Now, I'm kind of a lightweight (20yrs, 5'8", 150lbs), so thats quite a bit of alcohol. I never acted like an asshole, or got belligerent, so I never really saw a problem. Last week I realized that I had gone through a 12 pack of bottles in one night, a weeknight, and I was drinking alone in my room (I saw a problem).

Onto cigarettes. This might be kind of long, so if you're still reading, it does tie together. The cigarettes are what I've really wanted to quit for a long time (started about two years ago), but every time I've tried, or said that I was going to try, I just went right back to the store and got some more. So I've realized (through advise on this site) that in order to quit the cigarettes, I'm going to need to quit weed and alcohol first. Those are two of my biggest triggers. Cigarettes make the high so much better, and I would basically chain smoke when I was drunk.

Today is Tuesday, October 2
    I haven't smoked weed since Friday, Sept. 28
    I haven't had a beer since Saturday, Sept. 29, and I haven't drank heavily since Friday, Sept. 28

Now that may not seem like a long time, but I really can't remember the last time I went 4 days without smoking pot, or 3 days without drinking anything. Yesterday I woke up thinking, "wow, things are starting to get a whole lot clearer, it's like this haze that I've been living in is lifting," and that felt good. Today I woke up at 8am thinking, "wow, I don't want to go right back to bed, I actually have some energy."

So I think I'm on the right track, I'm not worrying about quitting the ciggies right this second because I want to get these other two addictions out of my system. Hopefully that way I'll have an easier time quitting the worst one of all. As of right now, I haven't been craving weed at all (as a matter of fact, I turned down a blunt for the first time EVER yesterday), but every time I open the fridge, I see those frosty beer bottles just begging to be drank.

On a side note, both of my brothers have been addicted to MUCH harder drugs than these... part of the reason that I only tried a few of the harder drugs, and made sure that I didn't get carried away.

2. saynotopopo

saynotopopo New Member

Update: It has been about 8 or 9 days, and I'm still going strong. My first weekend without any substances (aside from nicotine) was quite the experience. I passed up all these: many bowls, a few blunts and joints, acid, and a ton of alcohol (all offered to me for free). Having a sober perspective of the intoxication I was subjecting myself to has been, well, a sobering experience.

I am still smoking cigarettes, about a pack a day, and I think I'm going to need some outside help in order to quit for good. I've been thinking about going to my doctor to ask for an Rx for those nicotine patches, but I would prefer to do this on my own willpower.

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

if you are an addict/alcoholic, this streak will fail shortly. As far as smoking, keep smoking till you have a year sober.

4. saynotopopo

saynotopopo New Member

What makes you think that I will relapse?

As for the cigarettes, I was planning to quit in about a month. I just can't keep smoking, and the longer I wait to quit, the harder it is going to be.

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

because you have done nothing different in your life

keep coming bacxk

6. Gillzeebub

Gillzeebub New Member

Stay strong. I woke up one day after smoking weed for 5 yrs n said, right im sick of always feeling tired, my lungs hurt from bongs, im stopping... and i did, i havent touched anything since and i dont care if i ever do again.
    As for ur smoking cigarettes. Dont think about quitting them til u stop craving the other 2 things.
    U might wanna try proving some sort of power to urself by not smoking a whole one. This is wat i do as im trying to quit. I only have half a smoke now, sometimes i want the whole one and fight with myself to put it out but that sense of self power makes me feel stronger.
    Next i thought about when i most need a smoke, like, coffee - brekkie - smoke situation so i deliberately dont have one then. I've cut my smoking by half the amount with only having a half a smoke and cut down the amount i have. Eventually im sure ill be able to cut them all out completely.

Edit: try n stay away from situations where ur sitting around with ppl smoking pot n drinking, its not a healthy environment for ur state of mind. Battling urself to not do it is made worse by ppl who clearly arent supporting ur decision if theyre still offering it.

7. saynotopopo

saynotopopo New Member

Well, I survived my second week of sobriety. I want to get the cigarettes out of my life though, they are preventing me from doing what I used to really enjoy before I started smoking pot and drinking (bike riding, running, soccer, tennis, snowboarding).

Thanks for the advice Gillzeebub, I actually have been trying to cut certain "key cigarettes" out, and I've been putting them out sooner and sooner. Most of the time I want to smoke the whole thing, but I try to fight that and just stomp it out.

8. Ivy Chell

Ivy Chell New Member

I drank and used the hard stuff for years until I found myself in jail getting to see my children through a glass window. I have been clean and sober for 6 years, and never once attended a meeting. I did have to loose the old friends, and stay away from my old hang-outs. I wish you all the luck, and hope that you never have to hit rock bottom.

9. saynotopopo

saynotopopo New Member

I caved. I drank on Tuesday night. One of my 'friends' came back with a couple six packs of Sparks, and offered me one, I regret having that one. After that I asked for another, and another, and then we broke out a handle of Jim Bean... ended up taking upwards of 9 shots chased by Sparks. I drove home black-out drunk like a fucking idiot. Looks like you guys are right, I'm gonna need to cut ties with some of the less-than-supportive friends. It just sucks to know you have to lose some friends that were important to you.