Adderall and weight loss

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xpinchx, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Weight loss is one of the side effects of Adderall and I was wondering if it was just because the loss of apetite, or is there actually something in it that made you lose weight. I want to know because I'm going to start bulking soon and I might have to go on Adderall. :hs:

2. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

its a methamphetamine...its bad news

3. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Hadn't heard that it can cause weightloss. I would think that it slows your metabolism and do just the opposite. In for explaination though :)

4. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

aaah that would explain it...Severly decreasing your appetite. If you can force yourself to eat...well good luck :big grin:

5. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I have a friend who lost about 30 lbs rather quickly on his adderal and ramen noodle diet

7. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Time to make a decision :hs:.

8. jonno

jonno New Member

my friend is perscribed adderall and he's trying to bulk.. when he takes it he can't eat for shit so he never takes it anymore

9. JP®

JP® New Member

What do they perscribe adderall for?

10. Phineas Q Stork

ADD I believe

11. Phineas Q Stork

Probably why use and abuse of it is so prevalent in colleges

12. Phineas Q Stork

A good amount of my friends smoke week, do coke, or engage in some sort of pill popping. I didn't know that people actually snorted aderall until recently. One of my friends from high school died recently from an overdose, so that's just another reason I stay away from that shit.

13. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

amphetamines ftw :coold:

14. Phineas Q Stork

Oh, it wasn't adderall. Supposedly it was just pills, I dont know the specifics. He had recently gotten out of rehab for coke too. I was just staying "that shit" in reference to drugs in general

15. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

if you cant eat on it, you probley dont need it.............

16. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Description: Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are used in combination as an oral preparation to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or narcolepsy. Adderall® products consist of mixed salts of amphetamine aspartate, amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine saccharate, and dextroamphetamine sulfate in combination. The ratio of d-amphetamine to l-amphetamine is 3:1. The combination allows for once-daily dosing, which may be of use in maintaining the medical privacy and therapeutic compliance of the school-age child with ADHD. In one small trial, the use of Adderall® once daily or methylphenidate twice daily resulted in similar subjective behavioral outcomes as rated by teachers and parents.[2368] Adderall® was formerly marketed as Obetrol®, a product used primarily for the adjunctive short-term treatment of exogenous obesity. While amphetamines are used occasionally as anorectic agents; many states in the US restrict their use for this purpose. The original NDA for the amphetamine; dextroamphetamine combination was approved by the FDA in the 1970's. Obetrol® was renamed and reformulated as Adderall® in 1994. The reformulated product was subsequently approved by the FDA for use in ADHD and narcolepsy in February 1996. Adderall® XR, a once-daily oral capsule dosage form, was approved in October 2001. On August 11, 2004 the FDA approved Adderall® XR for the treatment of adult ADHD. On February 9, 2005 the FDA issued a Public Health Advisory to notify healthcare professionals that Health Canada, the Canadian drug regulatory agency, suspended the sale of Adderall® XR in the Canadian market. The Canadian action was based on U.S. post-marketing reports of sudden unexplained deaths in pediatric patients. The U.S. FDA is continuing to evaluate these and other post-marketing reports of serious adverse events. The FDA does not feel that any immediate changes are warranted in the U.S. labeling or approved use of the drug product. As a precaution, the FDA recommends that Adderall® and Adderall® XR products not be used in children or adults with structural cardiac abnormalities.

Mechanism of Action: Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are non-catecholamine sympathomimetic agents that stimulate the release of norepinephrine (NE) and other biologic amines from central adrenergic receptors. At higher dosages, they cause release of dopamine (DA) from the mesocorticolimbic system and the nigrostriatal dopamine systems. It is thought that the release of dopamine is responsible for the reinforcing properties of amphetamine. At still higher doses, amphetamine stimulates the release of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT). Finally, amphetamine may act as a direct agonist on central 5-HT receptors. Thus, amphetamine is both a direct and an indirect stimulant. Amphetamines may also inhibit monoamine oxidase (MAO), but this is a minor action. Dextroamphetamine exhibits greater CNS stimulation than racemic- or levo- amphetamine on a weight basis. Amphetamine-induced CNS stimulation produces a decreased sense of fatigue, an increase in motor activity and mental alertness, mild euphoria, and brighter spirits. Lithium may offset amphetamine-induced euphoria.

•Peripheral actions: In the periphery, the actions of amphetamines are believed to occur through release of norepinephrine from the adrenergic nerve terminals and by a direct stimulant action on alpha- and beta-receptors. Dextroamphetamine has less peripheral activity than racemic amphetamine at normally prescribed dosages. Amphetamines increase systolic and diastolic blood pressure and cause respiratory stimulation and weak bronchodilation. Heart rate commonly reflexly decreases in response to increased blood pressure. At higher dosages and in overdose, heart rate may increase or cardiac arrythmias may occur. Amphetamines may produce mydriasis and contraction of the bladder sphincter. The effect of amphetamines on GI tract motility is unpredictable.

•Actions in ADHD: There is no conclusive evidence for the mechanism(s) of action of amphetamines on the mental and behavioural conditions in children. Improved attention spans, decreased distractability, increased ability to follow directions or complete tasks, and decreased impulsivity and aggression have been noted when stimulants are prescribed for the treatment of ADHD. Current research suggests that the modulation of serotonergic pathways by the amphetamines may contribute to the calming effects in the treatment of this disorder.

•Anorectic actions: The action of the amphetamines in treating obesity may result from mechanisms besides appetite suppression at the lateral hypothalamic feeding center. The anorexogenic effect is postulated to be secondary to CNS stimulation and a decrease in the acuity of smell and taste. Amphetamines do not seem to alter the basal metabolic rate or nitrogen excretion. It is unknown if other CNS actions or metabolic effects may be involved in the promotion of weight loss with amphetamines.

Pharmacokinetics: Amphetamine; dextroamphetamine combinations are administered orally. Pharmacokinetics have been studied in adults and children as young as 6 years of age. Following oral administration, the onset of action occurs within 30—60 minutes. Maximum systemic absorption of Adderall® tablets is completed within 3 hours, and within 7 hours for Adderall® XR capsules. A single dose of Adderall® XR 20 mg gives comparable plasma concentrations to Adderall® tablets given in a 10 mg bid dosage. Sprinkling Adderall® XR on applesauce gives comparable plasma concentrations to admistration in the fasted state. Otherwise, if given with more food, absorption is not affected but the Tmax is prolonged by roughly 2.5 hours. Pharmacokinetic parameters are linear over the normal dosage range.

Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are widely distributed throughout the body, including the CNS. Therapeutic response has been correlated with amphetamine serum concentrations of 5—10 mcg/dl. Amphetamine; dextroamphetamine combinations are metabolized in the liver via aromatic hydroxylation, N-dealkylation, and deamination. The accumulation of hydroxylated metabolites has been associated with the development of psychosis in chronic overuse of these agents; however, with normal therapeutic use accumulation is not expected. Amphetamines and their metabolites are excreted in the urine. Under normal conditions, the plasma half-life of amphetamine is roughly 10 hours; the half-life of the combination is 10—13 hours in adults. The urinary elimination of amphetamines may be affected by agents that acidify or alkalinize the urinary fluids (see Drug Interactions). In general, for every 1 unit increase in urinary pH, there is a corresponding 7-hour increase in amphetamine half-life. Conversely, acidification of the urine speeds amphetamine elimination.

•Special populations: Race does not appear to influence the pharmacokinetics of the amphetamines. Systemic exposure to amphetamines is 20—30% higher in females as compared to males, but differences diminish when females are given weight-based dosing comparable to male subjects. Children eliminate amphetamine faster than adults. The elimination half-life is approximately 1 hour shorter for dextroamphetamine (i.e., 9 hours) and 2 hours shorter (i.e., 11 hours) for l-amphetamine in children than in adults. However, children exhibit higher systemic exposure to amphetamine (based on Cmax and AUC) than adults for a given dose of this combination product. However, the difference is attributed to the higher dose administered to children on a mg/kg basis. Upon dose-normalization on a mg/kg basis, children showed 30% less systemic exposure when compared to adults.

17. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure it increases your metabolism.

18. Jspec180

Jspec180 New Member

it just makes your appetite a lot less. when i took it i didnt feel like eating much. good if you want to lose weight but i doubt you will be able to bulk while using it.

19. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

yea....I'm starting college in a few months and decided that my gains are too important to me so im done with that shit :bigthumb:

20. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

If you really need it though, I would think that your grades would be way more important than bulking up. Fish oil is an alternative though.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  21. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It has the opposite effect on people with a chemical imbalance of dopamine and/or norepinephrine.

22. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

it helped my grades in high school but everyone keeps telling me that college is such a different atmosphere that i might have an easier time working on school work than i did in high school. Either way...I couldnt tell you which is more important to me right now, grades or gains. If i dont do well maybe ill go back on it, but i'd rather not.

23. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

no meth about it...but its still bad news....if a doc gives it to you to take every day there could be some serious side effects down the road if you take it. its as addictive as coke and can make you seriously lose control of your emotions...as a recreational drug its alright used every once in a while but taken every day can really mess with you and it isn't fun

24. SpiderOnTheFloor

thats a load of horse shit...it can make anyone study better but the side effects are not worth it

25. SpiderOnTheFloor

its not 'time released' it just stays in you for a while...you can easily overdose on that stuff...i took 40mg and went to a concert and my chest was pounding for a while (40mg is a lot for someone with no tolerance)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.