added a 2nd sata hard drive - how do i make the new one the master drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Grid, Feb 10, 2010.

1. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

I have a 180 GB sata hard drive as my only HD. I just now added another one ( 1 TB sata HD). I want to use the old, 180 GB just for strorage and use the new 1 TB drive as the main one (i want to boot from it, use it as my primary etc etc).

So far, ive physically installed the new one (left the old 180gb in its place). I then cloned my old drive to the new one and that worked. Problem is i'm pretty sure im still booting from the old 180gb one. I see the new drive in "my computer" and i can access it and the cloning was successful (it has all the same shit as the old one).

How do i change the new one to the primary/master/boot drive?

do i need to install windows on it? (or did cloning do this?)

when i boot up i go into bios to try to set it as a primary and theres no option for it... it just shows both drives as "on." in the boot sequence it just says "boot sata hard drive" or something and theres only 1 (so i cant choose to boot 1 HD before the other)

thx for any help

2. thekraft

thekraft New Member

It has to be plugged into the first SATA (Sata 1) port on the motherboard.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

There is no Master/Slave with SATA. The easiest way to verify which drive you are booting from it to just unplug the old drive and try to boot the machine. If you properly cloned your disc image it should boot with no issues.

Once you are booting from the new drive you can go into your BIOS and set the boot order, setting the new drive to be first in the boot order (or second if you want the CD drive first).

Then you can just format your old drive to reclaim the space, or do whatever you want with it.

4. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

i thought with sata it didnt matter where i plugged them in? so i guess if u just switch where i plugged them in the MB it should be good to go (i only have 2 slots so i'd just switch them)

so there should be 2 separate "sata drives" in my bios boot sequence? right now i only have 1... so maybe i didnt clone properly (although it has 100% the exact same stuff in the new HD..

5. Chris

Chris New Member

How exactly did you clone your old disc?

6. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Oh yeah, and you could set boot order in BIOS

7. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

used acronis true image home 2010. Used "clone mode" and used "automatic" which says "all ur partitions from the source HD will be copied to the tgt disk and ur new disk will be made bootable"

8. Chris

Chris New Member

Then you should be good to go, just unhook the old drive and try to boot from the new one.

9. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

i went into bios and turned the old one off and booted from the new one. Worked fine; however, i couldnt access the old one :ugh:

do you know how i can access while booting from the new one?

10. Chris

Chris New Member

because you turned it in BIOS, doing that hid the drive from the computer. Just have the new drive set to boot before the old drive.

11. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

fucking did it

just physically went into the cpu and changed the order of how i plugged in the HD's and it now boots from the new HD. I thought there was a way to switch it without having to do that. Meh

thx for all the help though guys! appreciate it