SRS ADD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by skreid, Dec 31, 2008.

1. skreid

skreid New Member

What is the..general consensus here on ADD?

As far back as I can remember, I've always had problems described under ADD (loved school, but did horrible, rarely did homework, put off major projects until the day before they were due, my house is a disaster area, I have like 10 copies of my car keys because I lose them all the time, my mind is constantly racing with thoughts which leads me to ignore people when they are talking to me, and, what I see as my biggest problem is I can't ever stop f**** moving. No matter what I do I can't just settle down.

I can't even send a letter through the mail on time because I put it off or just forget. But I don't consider myself lazy. I'm very active- I run a lot, bike, ski hike, but I just can't sit down and do something as easy as talk to someone for 5 minutes.

Is this a normal part of my lifestyle, or should I be seeing someone?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You genuinly have ADHD, thing is there is a lot of controversy around which method is proper to solve it, and its said caused often because there was a lot of sigaret smoking or tabacco induced during the womans pregnancy which is to be said a major cause of the defect.

Medicine use only supresses the problem it doesn't solve it, which is why i think you need to steer away from medicine use. You are indeed not lazy, you just need to learn how to focus, i suggest Bhuddism as a way to balance,relax and regain your path in life. Maby some reiki healing as well.

3. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

I have all the above symptoms as well. I always just put it down to myself being unique. Or...'That's just the way I am.'

But all these little things, like not being able to sit down and read through a whole research paper in one go (or even getting distracted after the first paragraph), are getting in the way now.

I've read up on ritalin and adderall and think they could really benefit me. But I'm afraid of going to the doctor and being branded a fake who's after some drugs to help him do better at his studies.

Can I ask the OP. When you say you are constantly moving. Is that just fidgeting? Since I've not been sleeping alone anymore, my SO gets really annoyed with me fidgeting my feet in bed.

4. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

And another bad habbit of mine has always been completing other people sentences...I mean why can't they just finish their sentence faster!!

/rant

5. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Come on, you've gotta be kidding :hsugh: you really think a doctor is going to tell you that when you really need it? Hopefully you're just using that as an excuse and don't really believe that.

6. skreid

skreid New Member

Any kind of moving. Playing with stuff (pens or whatever is in front of me) or just sitting down. Can't do it.

7. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

I may go to the doctor about ADD as well. When you go in, they won't give you a prescription right away, nor will they discount you for just another drug abuser. What they will do however is give you a questionaire and a couple of tests to determine whether or not you are suffering from the disorder.

Although I really think I do need the medications, I only plan on taking them when going to school, I have problems paying attention and retaining information that I try so hard to focus on.

8. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

The medicine can often be used indefinately without having to increase the dose over time (assuming you take it as prescribed). Fantastical theistic methods may work but I believe medications could relieve the OP's symptoms effectively. You can always tell the doctor you want to stop taking them and he will instruct you on how to get off them safely.

I recommend Dexedrine. It is just as effective, if not more, than Ritalin/Adderall but the side-effects are absolutely minimal by comparison.