add music to ipod

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arc3 ange1, Sep 29, 2005.

1. arc3 ange1

arc3 ange1 Never be bought, Never be sold

So I accessed the music files of my ipod by selecting to view hidden folders...i can delete them just fine, but I was wondering how I add the files. When I tried to make a new 'f' folder, the ipod doesn't display the new songs. Do I have to get itunes, or can i manually add songs?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The iPod doesn't just read songs from its filesystem, it has some crazy hashtable thingy that lists all the songs. So, you need iTunes or some other program that will re-build the database when you add songs.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

from what i've gathered, the way i understand is is that the ipod doesnt function like windows with a file-based structure. it is based on a tag-based database, and itunes sorta acts like a go-between between the two structures.

i'd just get itunes.... it really isnt that bad. tho there are other alternatives to itunes that will get music on and off of you ipod without risking it like you have been.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Get Itunes, Ephod, or Sharepod.

I'd recommend Sharepod, it's a simple .exe app that you put in the root of the Ipod and you can add/remove songs from it.