GUN Add laser pointer to the list of prohibited weapons

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Apr 21, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A major Australian state has banned laser pointers after a spate of incidents in which aircraft pilots have been temporarily blinded, the government said on Monday.

High-powered hand lasers, including so-called "star pointers" used by astronomers, would be listed as prohibited weapons in New South Wales state with jail terms of up to 14 years for anyone carrying them without a permit.

"It is a gutless and cowardly act that could result in an horrific outcome. It only takes a fraction of a second for a pilot to become temporarily blinded and that could have catastrophic consequences," said state Premier Morris Iemma.

Several pilots have recently reported high-intensity lasers being shone into their cockpits during take-offs and landings, and police recently enlisted intelligence agencies to help combat what papers called "laser lunatics."

The latest incident occurred over Sydney's south at the weekend when an ambulance helicopter was hit by a green beam.

The ban will build on planned national importation controls announce by the federal government earlier this month, treating laser pointers like firearms.

"It's destructive, dangerous behavior which needs a coordinated response across Australia," said Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus.

(Reporting by Rob Taylor, editing by Sanjeev Miglani)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080421/tc_nm/australia_lasers_dc

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

depending on the power of the laser, I can see the need for that. There are some 85+mW lasers that are for sale that can cause permanent, not temporary blindness. Treating them like firearms is a bit much, and standard 5mW lasers should be sold like pens and pencils. I agree that a regulation, or limitation of more powerful lasers is legitimate, similar to what we have here in the U.S. I don't know what aussie laws are for laser powers though.

3. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

What a backwards and retarded-ass country.

4. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

They were one of the few countries to recognize Kyoto as the economic deathtrap that it is.
    But yea, point still stands, this is a new low in stupidity.

5. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

I agree to a certian extent but it's all thanks to a small minority who see it fit to point these things at moving planes. I sure as fuck do not want to be in the one that gets a laser pointer in the pilots eye and something goes wrong.
    I have no idea whether just banning them is going to do anything however.

That all being said, tone down the disrespect towards my beloved country.

6. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

btw, our state Premier Morris Iemma, is a fucking moron, wouldn't be suprised if he's sitting outside the KFC next to the airport with his laser pointer giggling like a little girl.

7. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Green lasers available commercially are powerful enough cause retinal damage.