Ada Programmers..Need a bit of help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have one program that writes keeps an inventory of the name of pop and the total amount in stock. It writes this data to a binary file. My assignment is to write a program that takes that binary file and displays the data on screen. However I can't for the life of me get it to print the actual data in the file, It always prints garbage. Hopefully someone can give me a hand. The link has the data file.

Code:
    with Ada.Sequential_IO;
    with Ada.Text_IO;
    procedure Display is

--Package for input of integers from a sequential file
       package Seq_Character_IO is new Ada.Sequential_IO (Element_Type => Character);

Value : Character; --Value to be written to screen

Int_File : Seq_Character_IO.File_Type; --The sequential file

begin
          --Prepare file to open
          Seq_Character_IO.Open (File => Int_File, Mode => Seq_Character_IO.In_File, Name => "Pasta.dat");

Display_Loop:
          loop
             exit Display_Loop when Seq_Character_IO.End_Of_File (Int_File);
             Seq_Character_IO.Read (File => Int_File, Item => Value);
             Ada.Text_IO.Put (Item => Value);
             Ada.Text_IO.New_Line;
          end loop Display_Loop;
          Seq_Character_IO.Close (Int_File);
    end Display;
    http://rapidshare.com/files/56817822/Pasta.Dat.html

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I am pretty sure Ada programmers are all dead...

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I knew this one guy in college who liked ADA. Never got along with him, though.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Yea I took C/C++ for my computer Science 1 and 2 classes which wasn't bad. I actually like Ada better I think its a bit more straight forward. I still don't understand why all of the sudden when you hit computer Science 3 though they go and make you learn a new language. Doesn't make much since to me.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I hate universities pushing java so much. c/c++ is the defacto industry standard, java is a novelty that will never catch on for real development. Sure it can be useful for online or distributed network applications, but it is a purely academic language, more of a proof of concept than anything practical.

It reminds me of linux, java fans and linux fans are deviants for the sake of being deviants.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Clearly you haven't used Kubuntu. It's the easiest Linux ever, provides a comparable experience to windows, and with the addition of the CNR database, you'll be able to buy pre-configured installers for all of the non-free programs you could ever want.

Anyway, back on topic: Java is useful when you need to write a desktop app that can run on multiple operating systems, but nobody does that anymore, so I agree with you there. Kinda the same with .NET, though, and .NET isn't even supported on anything besides Windows, so yeah, C++ is still the king.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Because you're not at school to become a programmer, you're at school to become a computer scientist. A computer scientist should have enough understanding about how programming works to learn a new language quickly. To gain these skills, you have to see and use a wide variety of languages, since not all languages work the same way.

In my third year, I used several new languages: scheme, prolog, matlab. They all work in different ways and are good for different things.