Ad ware problem... again

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Jul 4, 2004.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Some program is once again hijacking my homepage, and opening pop-ups everytime I open explorer, even if it's just a folder on my computer. It doesn't have any actual address, since it still says the address is about:blank which is what I have my homepage set to, yet it's still there. I ran spybot S&D, ad-aware, and AVG Virus scanner, fixed all problems each came up with, and it's still there. I have the program Hijack This, but I'm not sure what to remove to get rid of it since I don't have any clue what's causing it. I ever searched using the windows search for any files created within the last day since thats when I got it, and pulled out anything shady I saw, which were a few things, but it is still there. Any advice?

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Hmmm, there's so many places spyware can be. One thing to try is (assuming you're in IE, or you probably wouldn't have these problems) is Tools -> Internet Options -> Temp Int Files, Settings -> View Objects and delete anything you don't recognize.

It's more than likely that whatever it is is in your registry, but spybot and ad aware should detect that. I dunno, good luck.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Don't just hint that he should quit using IE, remind him of the wonderful benefits of using Mozilla FireFox, the web's new best browser http://mozilla.org/products/firefox/ </salespitch>

4. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

Try using SpySweeper. It is free, removes a LOT of spyware and can be easily found on Google.

5. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

just found out another piece of info, what it seems to be doing, is something constantly creates sp.html in my windows TEMP directory, sp being short for search page, which is the name of this thing. I can remove the processes that load that using Hijack This, but they just keep coming back.

6. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

also I cleared my temp internet files and cookies, and that didn't help

7. Omied2k

Omied2k Guest