GUN AD from a smart carry type holster - repost from THR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 20, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393304

I'm not eager to post this, but an airline pilot friend of mine told me that my AD changed his mind about how he carries on duty, and maybe my story will change someone elses' mind as well.

Friday, Sep. 5 is a day I will long remember. I'm 47 y/o, married, father of three (10,18,20 y/o olds) and I've been shooting since I was ten. I've never had an AD or ND; I've never been injured by a firearm. I'm the type that triple checks for safety; the type that reads the manuals of a firearm to know how it operates.

This spring, I bought a CZ 82 which is a Makarov design, 9mm Makarov caliber pistol. I've shot the CZ 75's on several occasions and I like the simplicity of the CZ design along with the all steel frame. I'm not a big fan of autoloaders, as they have a propensity for AD/ND that revolvers don't have. But, I figured the little gun would be a good BUG and good for the wife or girls to shoot and/or carry. At the time, I only had one handgun and that was my full size, Colt .357.

One big problem with the CZ 82 is finding a holster. I had looked at a lot of holsters and was intrigued with the Smart Carry holster for deep concealment. Reno had a big gun show at the end of August, and I had hoped to find the folks from Smart Carry there so I could look at their holsters 'up close'. Instead, I found someone selling a nylon version of this holster. He claimed that this holster was thinner and the nylon was tougher than the Smart Carry material, so the holster would last longer. At $30 the price was right, and the CZ snuggled into the pocket like it was made for it.

The holster looked like this:
    [​IMG]

So, I tried out the holster first with the gun empty. I normally carry the CZ 'cocked and locked', and I wanted to make sure the manual safety wouldn't come off. The problem I had was that the gun wanted to slide into a 45 degree angle with that double stack grip canted over on the right side, which was uncomfortable. Anyway, the gun seemed to carry safely with the manual safety staying on, but the problem was comfort. I wasn't carrying with the gun trapped under my belt, it was below the belt and not comfortable.

I pulled up the Smart Carry site and the video they have of putting on a Smart Carry rig and tried that technique, which seemed to work. You have the gun carried on the centerline of your body, with the grip under (or just below) your belt and the barrel pointed straight down. On the morning of the accident, this is how I was carrying the weapon.

Friday morning and I've put the holster on, slipped the gun into the pouch and I'm planning to go to town on errands. The dogs are bugging me to go for a walk along the river, and I figure it won't take that much time. We live on a hill above a small river, so I take the dogs and head out down the dirt road to the river. At the river, I check the guns' safety, and it's still on (remember, this is a new position for me to carry it in).

I walked for three or four hundred yards along the river, as usual. Coming back there is a point at which I have to stop and pull the stickers out of my little Schnauzers fur. I squatted down to pull the stickers, and the weapon discharged one round into my groin.

When the weapon discharged, I remember standing up and yanking the weapon out of my pants, wondering just what the #$%^ had happened. It's an odd feeling being shot. The body is screaming that it's in trouble while the mind is racing to catch up on what just happened.

I realized I was bleeding pretty good, but not enough to have hit an artery. I safed the weapon, stuck it behind my back and put pressure on the wound. I then discovered a big mistake I had made---no cell phone! I had to walk back, about 1/4 mile to the house to roust my daughters and call 911.

I'll make a long story short in that I was Careflighted to a trauma center where a very good surgeon took three hours to repair the damage. The round was a 95 gr. Hornady XTP that patially fragmented. I had three holes in my penis and a smashed left testicle. :eek4: I know this is a bit graphic, but especially the guys need to realize what can happen when you carry a gun 'ready to go' inside your pants.

I was discharged the next Monday, and a full recovery is expected. The blown out bottom of the holster looks like this:

[​IMG]

Folks, everybody needs to be really careful not only how they carry, but in what they carry. I can only figure that having the slide under the belt allowed the safety to come off leaving the gun cocked. The holster material was very thin, which apparently allowed the heavy denim of my jeans to bunch into the trigger guard and set the gun off.

One of the rules of choosing a holster is to get one that covers the trigger guard---but you also need one that is made of a material stiff enough to prevent anything from pushing on that trigger!

You also really need to think about a worst case scenario if you're carrying a semi-auto IWB that is ready to fire. Is that really a good idea? Or would a revolver be a better choice. I know that some jurisdictions have rules on firearm carry that make it almost impossible to carry except in deep concealment. But do yourself a favor and carry as safely as possible.

My airline pilot friend decided not to carry an auto-loader in an IWB after hearing what happened. He instead will be carrying his Ruger SP101 in a cross draw rig when he's piloting the commercial airlines he flies. I hope my story gets others to thinking about the consequences of how we carry.

Good thing it was only a 9mm and not a .45 or 10mm :eek3:

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:eek4:

So like, i dont know anything about this gun or that holster. So it sits literally inside your pants, below the belt? :confused: If you had to draw, you had to reach inside like you're digging your nuts?

3. Landfill

Landfill New Member

lol yea really, will never catch me carrying like that ever, I like my junk way too much to put it in that kind of danger.

4. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Not only digging your nuts, but digging your nuts in a diaper designed to hold a gun

5. Landfill

Landfill New Member

Pretty much, passive101 on youtube has a bunch of videos of it. http://www.youtube.com/user/passive101

6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I saw a couple of vids of that guy when I was looking at the MTAC. I didnt realize he's from GT, lol.

For some reason, I want to hate him. I think it's the way he talks. But he seems like a nice guy and very informative.

Anyways, how are these types of holsters secure or kept up? Do they wrap around your body like a belt. Or is it hooked onto the pants or your belt? :confused: I mean, I can see a reason for this type of holster, since it literally makes the gun disappear. But fuck, that's nuts. :noes:

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I evaluated the smart carry many years ago when it came out. Did not feel it would suit my needs. There was another holster called the pager pal that I thought was better.

Sounds like this guy bought a cheap smart carry knock off. Second I think his choice of carry gun was proably not the best choice for that style holster. Trapping the gun with your waistband/belt with a manual thumb safety just doesn't sound smart. Of course he realizes this in hind sight. At first sign that the gun shirts or is uncomfortable he should of seriously re-evaluated the holster. It was proably just a matter of time before it was uncomfortable and he adjusts it then something bad happens

8. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I like how every AD/ND thread starts out with how much gun knowledge they have, and how this has never happened to them before.

9. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Your junk=mothballs.

10. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

For some reason I :rofl:'d at this statement.

It would have to be a pretty odd occurrence for me to blast my dick off since I carry on my right hip.

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Yup. I also like how this story just seems to reinforce this guy's long-preconceived notions about pistols.

Bought a cheap holster with zero retention and put a cheap gun in it.

12. idleprocess

Looks like it was chambered in 9mm Makarov - even less oomph than .380 Auto.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

backwards, mak > .380 (by just a tiny little bit)

14. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

380<9mm mak<9mm luger

15. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I'd never carry in that region

16. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

No trigger protection/gaurd , flimsy material, manual safety. It seemed like a great idea at the time...

17. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

:werd: and :werd:

18. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Actually my thoughts exactly :hs:

If you start your story out with how much you know about pistols and how you "read the manuals" you probably fail :o

19. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I am going to cut you at work tonight when you least expect it.

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

i have a smart carry, while it is a little uncomfortable, the gun completely and totally disappears. good for certain situations.

my smart carry looks nothing like the one pictured. i have tried to pull the trigger with a G19 in it and I can't, the material is too thick. so who knows

21. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

that nylon material is a terrible idea... the smart carry/thunderwear use denim that is too thick for the trigger to be pulled.

22. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

23. Tre003

Tre003 OT Supporter

So whats the consensus on a real smart carry?
    Stay away just because or are they decent for daily/occasional carry?

24. idleprocess

I hear they're allright for situations where a conventional holster won't do, but are obviously more difficult to draw from and probably less comfortable.

25. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I carry my g30 in a thunderwear when I don't wear a belt.