Acura NSX vs. Dodge Viper GTS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bored23217, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Bored23217

Bored23217 New Member

Dads buying me a car in 4 years cuz of college scholarships and hard work and such... lookin at about $30k - $40k and i have seen alot of these cars in this price range. which would u choose and why? keep in mind it would be 4 years from now. other suggestions welcome.

2. Sane 007

Sane 007 Active Member

arnt they both worth alot more then 40k. i guess your talking used

3. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

Def used. Having only driven the viper, i hear the nsx is both underrated and overrated by everyone. The people who own an nsx swear by them since theyre reliable, handle very well, and are very civilized. The viper is just a beast. Hard choice that will all boil down to personal pref. Me though, I'd probably choose the nsx, assuming it wasnt going to be an only car. I have my bike for those times i really need a dose of speed.

4. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

The NSX is definitely the most overrated car out there! The price you pay for the performance you get is way too much! Yes, NSX's do hold their value, somewhat, but do you really want to spend that amount of money on a car that will get walked by almost any other performance car in it's league (and price range)? On the other hand, being American car the Viper's reliability and fit and finish can be a little questionable. Bank for the buck the Viper is the way to go. you should also consider a Corvette Z06 or an E46 M3. Just my 0.02 cents.

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i have known 4 people who owned vipers

1 still owns it only because he got a crazy deal on it from an estate sale, it is the first year made (94 i think...the racier model with no A/C or power windows and whatnot), and dodge just rebuilt the motor for him based on a recall

he recently crashed it going 180+ (he can't remember for sure) but apparently he was topping it out, hit a bump and the car started doing 360's in the middle of the freeway...by the time he crashed he had slowed down to 100-120 he thinks...i honestly have no idea what is up with the car right now

i "mentor" his son and am pretty friendly with him but haven't talked to him in awhile since they kicked the son out of the house

the others had a ridiculous number of problems and their cars were in the shop a significant amount more than they were actually running...they all have since sold them

my dad loves nsx's but i have also heard of some reliability problems with the older nsx's (basically the ones you are going to be able to afford)

i think you can do a lot better for $30-40k than an old semi-unreliable used car...but then again, i'm a big fan of buying new since you have no idea how the car was treated

6. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

there are other cars that are more overrated than the nsx...it is a very good drivers car...it may not be as fast, but from what i hear from people who own them, there are very few cars that compare driving-wise

i haven't had extensive driving time in one so i can't really comment on how great of a drivers car it is...the few experiences i have had with them have all been positive though

all the people with the vipers like them for the power but generally don't seem to like much else (these are the 4 people that i know mentioned above)...seeing as these cars are in the shop more often than not, many people get fed up

i would give the looks to the viper though since i have always been a fan...my experiences driving a viper have been sub-par...although they are very fast and very torquey, it just doesn't feel like a car made to drive...like they don't necessarily take the driver into 100% consideration when building the car...same way i feel about mustangs and vettes (although vettes are more of a drivers car, the interior/seats/steering wheel are still complete shit)

i do agree with you on the z06 though...the original poster should look at a z06 or possibly even a new c6 when they come out

and as far as the e46 m3...i'm not a huge bmw fan...i think bmw's are incredibly overrated (i have a few bmw sack riding friends and that probably makes me feel even stronger about disliking them)...don't get me wrong...i like bmw's...i would drive one...but i think there are many better cars for the money (that and i'm not incredibly keen on german engineering)

jap > german > sweeden > american > korean

7. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

You make a very good point. The more I think about it the more I take back my opinion about the M3. They (like most other European imports) are very expensive to maintain. Plus, they are not "throw you back in the seat" fast either. I like the NSX, and have read many articles that praise it for it's handling and feel. I just feel that there are a lot of cars out there with better value and performance for the same price. But when it comes down to it personal preference is what makes the decision.:)

8. exitspeed

exitspeed New Member

get a new Lancer Evo

9. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

speed isn't everything, the evo/sti ugly ducks may have that part going for them but other than that, they're not in the same league as the nsx/viper/corvette/911 carrera category. :slap:

10. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

there are A LOT of cars i would drive before the evo that cost less

hell, if someone gave me an evo, i would probably turn around and sell it

i can never drive something that honestly looks like it comes out of a crackerjack box...looks aren't everything, but the evo is like the disgusting 400 lb. cellulite infested fat woman with bright pink clothing screaming "look at me, i'm as hot as those other girls...and i can fuck better"

sorry...i'm high :)

11. dunski

dunski Guest

id never buy a nsx, but a Z06 or a C6 does sound inviting, but the 911's are nice

12. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

I say keep driving what you have now, and invest that money. Then you can buy a new model a couple years down the road.*

*Of course I say this because I would never be in your situation. If I were, I would already have the WRX picked out. :p

13. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

I'd say go with the Viper. The NSX is a nice car and all, but for the money I'd want something quicker. It handles like a dream, but only has 260HP. I've also read that 96 and before models were all automatics, anyone know the legitamacy to this?

14. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

Yeah, but in my experience*, the Viper handles like a brick.

*My experience consists of driving the Viper in Gran Turismo 2 on Playstation.

15. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

haha, I hear the Vipers handle very well (though this is just hear say, though I would say a bit more reliable than that of the cars in GT2 seeing as the 240 doesn't handle all that well, and IRL it handles great). Besides the Viper will get many more looks than the NSX, and IMHOP the Viper is a sexier car. Just don't get the V8 one :greddy:

16. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Last time I checked all Vipers came with 10 cylinders:slap:

17. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Nah, there was a model that came with a V8

18. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

i'd like to see pics or something. i've never heard of a V8 viper. :confused: :slap:

19. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

I dunno maybe my information is wrong, though that's what I've heard :shrug:

20. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

The V8 model was the concept viper in 1989 I believe.

21. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

Nevermind, the concept was a V10. :)

22. RedWuken

RedWuken Ph34r teh Wuken.

the creator of this topic hasnt replied yet :)

23. HybriDSM

HybriDSM Active Member

As much as I would say get the NSX, unless you plan on doing some upgrades to make it faster, I would go with the Viper. THis Unless you really dont care all that much about pure horsepower, in which case the NSX is 10X the car as a Viper. Give the NSX 450hp or the Viper 260hp and compare them, and the NSX wins hands down.

24. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

First figure out what your income will be. Owning a true exotic takes a lot more money than just buying one. Take in consideration such things as insurance, reliability, and even normal maintence. Personally in that price range i would go with a late model 993(Porsche 911). Very reliable and a great daily driver. I don't think you'd want a Viper as your only car. An NSX woudn't be a bad choice if you can justify spending that much for a Honda and only 260hp.

25. Yop

Yop Guest

porsche carrera used is like 35k by then for like a 98, which is still a sweet car, 300hp etc