Acura help

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NightyNight, Aug 14, 2006.

1. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I have a '92 Acura Legend LS Coupe. It has about 90k miles on it now. I need to take it in the morning to get the oil changed. I've had it for a little over a year, and it's an auto transmission. The thing shifts violently, I've read that Acura has had some trouble with their trannys, but I seriously know nothing about cars to fingerpoint anything. I had the transmission fluid changed in february, and it seemed to smooth it out a bit. But not much.

The thing is that it feels like I pump the brakes when the transmission shifts. So I don't know what to have the guys check for, does this description form any ideas about it?

Another thing, timing belts, a friend of the family said that the older Acuras need a timing belt changed at around 100k miles, and I live in Arizona, the last thing I want is to be stranded on the 2 hour stretch of desert on the commute between my college and home every other weekend.

Could someone please give me a little information? Thanks in advance.

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

3. Scawt

Scawt New Member

:rofl: It's FWD no rear differential. Try flushing the ATF out at Jiffy lube or something if you can't do it. Has your automatic ever been serviced before?

Change the timing belt too, $300 repair vs. $2000 in damage from not replacing it :ugh:

4. DrakeMK3

DrakeMK3 AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Looks like the joke is on you, Scawt. Legends and TL's have seperate differentials on the front even though it is a FWD car.

The thing you may want to look into is having the transmission screen replaced. It has a fine metal screen that can easily get clogged after many years of use. For ~$25 from Autozone, it's an easy fix. Doing this will definitely help with harsh shifts.