Actual Metabolic Rate

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by michael, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

My girlfriend wants to get her actual metabolic rate tested so she knows how many calories to eat.

She eats ~1200 calories a day on average (not *all* of it is healthy, but mostly).. she's 5'4" and 128 lbs. I think it's odd that she doesnt lose weight at that caloric intake...

the RMR calculator on bodybuilding.com says she needs about 1400..but that's RMR..that's just what she needs to live..

i feel like 1200 a day would put her in a starved state and alter her metabolism.. i dunno though.

thanks guys

2. Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good Yeah Baby This is All Part of a Routine Check up,

well how many calories per day is she expending? That will control her weight loss.

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

She's active like a normal person and then like 30 minutes of cardio a day like 3-4 days a week.

4. 1.8t

1.8t Member

Does she count EVERY calorie???? A lot of times people won't count little things....like a glass of OJ(cals add up real fast depending on size) in the morning or some mid afternoon "snacks" that while small, usually pack some decent cals. On top of that, for her, that may not be enough deficit(if its even in deficit) to lose weight.

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Have you guys actually kept track or is that an estimate?

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

she keeps track. it's obnoxious, to be frank. she only drinks water (except for the occassional cup of tea).

she'll NEVER eat more than 1700 cals in a day.. if she hits 1200 early in the day, she just won't eat much of anything for the rest of the day.

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

from the Bromocriptine book by Lyle Mcdonald:

While I’m on the topic, a little more bad news for female readers. We’ve known for years that women have a harder time losing and keeping off weight, no matter what they do. In addition to having a lower metabolic rate overall, women’s bodies generally adapt faster and harder to caloric restriction or exercise than men’s bodies do (6). To put it in the above terms, their bodies appear to defend against weight loss even moreso than men’s do. Oh yeah, they also don’t burn off excess calories as well with overfeeding (4). As my friend Elzi Volk says "When it comes to fat loss, women are screwed."

:big grin:

8. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Hah..so she's fucked?

9. 1.8t

1.8t Member

Nope, just has to work harder.;)

10. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

She does fine..but I mean, c'mon.. she only eats 1200 cals a day...i dont want my girlfriend to die~

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Body composition > body weight

12. Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good Yeah Baby This is All Part of a Routine Check up,

I would have her throw in about 45 min of circuit training 2-3 times a week. This will help toner her, along with promote good bone density which will help as she gets older. It will stimulate a larger group of muscles than just cardio which will inturn burn more calories...then the key is making sure she keeps her caloric intake clean and low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.