Activision, Infinity Ward, Douchebaggery, and the future.

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by FunkyMunniez, Apr 14, 2010.

1. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

Updated:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: this makes 22 people who left. hows that deep bench of talent going for Activision now?

Updated:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1085640p1.html

:rofl: take that Activision

Updated:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1083234p1.html

13 people total have now left Infinity Ward (including West/Zampella). Most of which were lead project designers. I bet more leave by the end of the month.

People who left:

Veteran Programmer: John shiring (6 years)
    Senior Animator: Bruce ferriz
    Lead Designer: Mackey McCandlish (8 years)
    Todd alderman (veteran staff member)
    Francesco Gigliotti (veteran staff member)
    Lead Designer: Steve fukuda
    Lead Designer: Zied Reike
    Programmer: Rayme Vinson
    Lead Artist: Chris Cherubini
    Lead Animator: Mark Grigsby (5 years)
    Lead character Animator: John Paul Messerly (8 years)

First things first, introduce some basic Activision douche-baggery...the MW2 stimulus package. Well, apparently an analyst thinks that Activision priced it too low at $15.
    http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1082840p1.html

Awesome. Now that 2.5 million fucking idiots have spoken, future DLC for games you enjoy will go up in price, especially if they're being published by Activision. I'd also like to remind you that for 50% more in price (or 1/4 the total cost of the game, however you want to look at it) of map packs offered for previous COD generations, you get 3 new pieces of content and 2 pieces of content you've already paid for. Of course, gamers could always go ahead and say that $15 is now the acceptable standard for 5 pieces of game content and anymore wuold be absurd, be lets be real here: a majority of the people who probably bought the package aren't making their own money and got it from their parents, so they don't care.

But moving along...

As everyone knows, West and Zampella have been recently fired from the executive positions of Infinity Ward, and rightfully, they have launched countersuits over money that they may or may not be owed, the usage of their Intelluctual Properties, accusations of insubordination, and the other reasons for which they were fired.

Activision answers:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082867p1.html

So Activision seems to be claiming that West/Zampella were scheming against them. True? False? I don't know. I don't know the terms of their contracts. I do know that Activision is a hard ass company that is on the record saying that they don't really care about the happiness of their employees. Interestingly enough (I don't have the article), West/Zampella claimed that Activision owed IW millions from their last project, but in their countersuit, Activision claims that West/Zampella were blocking bonuses from being paid to the employees to make them easier to poach for a new company. (I somehow doubt that it would have mattered either way :mamoru:)

So what now??
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1083048p1.html

West and Zampella form Respawn Entertainment to have games published under EA's Partner Program. Something of an ironic homecoming since West/Zampella left EA and the Medal of Honor franchise shortly after 2000 to join Activision. Last time West/Zampella left their publisher, they created one of the most recognized and successful gaming franchises of the past decade. And now they're working on a new project.

And then West takes a dig at Activision...

And they do have a blockbuster on the way:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1083116p1.html

Activision responded by "not being shocked" at the new studios developments.

With West/Zampella back at EA, Medal of Honor is undoubtedly going to rise again as the premiere War FPS this year. Regardless if there was a breach of contract or not, fuck Activision. :coold:

iballthatshitbyyou.jpg
    ibtl;dr
    ibobligatoryactivisionhate

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

To me this only makes complete sense if Activision is telling the truth and West/Zampella are just douchebags - otherwise it makes no sense. This explains their behavior post-MW2 launch and all the problems the game had and the fact that they didn't seem to care.

During the javelin glitch, West and Zampella accepted an award at the Spike video game awards show and gave an interview to Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/17/vga-2009-infinity-ward-on-medal-of-honor-glitches/3

Sounds like some of the shit Activision alleges - seriously, you launch a game you know will be huge, a game you didn't really test, and then shut the doors for a month? And when huge problems occur, you rely on guys coming in on their days off to work on it? WTF? That really sounds like they were hoping to cause problem with the game - fucking over fans and customers and Activision for their own benefit.

3. FunkyMunniez

They could have, they could not have. I hate Activision but I don't know the whole reasoning behind things like IW doors closing for a month and the allegations from Activision. Obviously some of Activisions accusations are true, but I wonder how much they actually embellish to make West/Zampella look bad.

Also to play Devil's Advocate a bit, intentionally "sabotaging" the game would be a good way to get out of a contract with Activision if you want to get the hell out of their clutches.

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

You guys have no idea the hours these guys put into those final 5-3 months before the game comes out. They usually always go on vacation or shut down after a big game like that is done, EA does it all the time. They test the shit out of it, and bring up issues, hell we were testing NHL08 2 weeks after it released, just after that whole connection shit popped up. We tested everything on EA servers so once we finally switched over to Microsoft, well shit hit the fan.

5. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

closing up for a month of vacation after a game ships doesn't seem all too uncommon.. I've heard of many other studios including Bungie and Lionhead doing the same thing

6. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Respawn Entertainment will have no part in MOH or BF development. They're crafting an entirely new IP.

BTW, the current count of IW staffers that have resigned continues to grow. ALL of the lead designers for MW2 have left the company and one of their Engineering Leads has departed as well. A programmer and Lead Artist has also left. No word on if any of them have signed with Respawn yet, but I would not be surprised to see them join up. Most of the people that have left were also a part of the 2015 exodus that formed IW.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

After the amount of time they put in, i can see a month vacation for the studio. :dunno:

8. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

you realize for part of the delay is sony/microsoft having to certify the patches right? the dev cant just issue a patch out like the old pc server days. I'd say roughly half the time it takes for a patch to come out is due to sony/M$ certification of the patch. Also every game has glitches some are worse than others, its a fact of the gaming industry thats why you have patches, the fact that its become a longer and more arduous process is what sucks. Not many if any games have zero glitches when launched. Also studio shutdown post big game launch is a very common practice.

9. FunkyMunniez

glitches these days are much more common with the advent of dlc. back when you didnt have a hard drive that could store a patch, you had one shot at getting the game right and while there were still glitches, nothing on the level you tend to see today.

10. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

It's the whole "fuck it, lets release it and fix it later" mentality that came with the advent of DLC.

11. OFI

OFI New Member

MS and Sony should fine devs big time for this shit...

MW2 took glitches to a whole new level.

Oh and as for future DLC costing more I said this when the price was first released but the retards just chime in "Oh but it's COD it's worth it"
    Ignorant to the fact that it sets a precident for DLC for ALL other games :uh:

Hopefully more devs like DICE will release free stuff just to prove a point :x: Can't see Activision going back on it though for any of their games.

12. Los

Los Active Member

:rofl: @ Activision

13. Phaedo

Phaedo Guest

They are both scumbags, and anyone still playing MW2 should be ashamed of themselves for potentially ruining the gaming community.

14. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

lol threadstarter u mad

15. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

16. White Stormy

I love the fact that Bobby Kotick is clinging to a GH controller as he goes down :bowrofl:

17. White Stormy

I had something like 30 days of playtime in MW1 multiplayer. I think I played MW2 multiplayer for like 12 hours and most of it was javelin glitching :rofl:

18. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

Who cares. The guys they shitcanned started a new company backed by :gasp: ea. Yeah they suck, but they will publish whatever respawn offers, which will be motivated by the hatred of activision, so it should be a great fucking game.

Also, BFBC2 drags the cod franchise through the dirt. DICE started this shit, and once again, their multiplayer mode of the newest battlefield is fucking king. Awesome game, less bullshit, more vehicles and strategy, more like real war is fought, not with two bad ass shotguns in a fucking room.

And, medal of honor is making a comeback as well. I myself WELCOME the fact that activision got a bit too high on their horse and fucked themselves off. The new games are a product of what COD brought with mw1 and a bit of mw2.

The competition between all the companies ultimately has rewarded US, the consumer, with great games to play.

Cliffs:

US = WIN

19. White Stormy

Isn't EA unwilling to publish games unless they're developed for all 3 consoles, though? or is that only for games they develop themselves? burdening a new studio with ps3 and wii development would just be mean :o

20. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

i will continue to play MW2 and ruin the gaming community. just to piss off faggots like you

21. FunkyMunniez

I don't think so. BFBC2 didn't make it to the wii.

22. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

good read, sir :cool:

23. Los

Los Active Member

As long as my stocks get to a point high to where I can dump them without a loss, whatever.

24. FunkyMunniez

You'd be crazy to think that EA isn't going to consult West/Zampella on future MoH or BF games :rofl:

While they will most likely not have any part in actually programming/designing, if you have two of the most notable War FPS developers working for you under a different studio, you would be flat out retarded to not go "Hey, what do you think of..." or "What would you do if..."

25. Los

Los Active Member

inorite?