active server pages (ASP) ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sinthetiq, Sep 14, 2003.

1. sinthetiq

sinthetiq Anteater Member

What benefits are there using ASP? How difficult is it to learn, and how should I go about learning ASP?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Usually when one talks about benefits, they'd probably want to compare it against something. A lot of folks like to compare ASP to: Java, PHP, CGI, ColdFusion, Perl, etc. Is there one of these you have in mind?

As for how difficult is it to learn, do you know any programming languages already? If not, don't worry. If you do, thats cool because it will get you going a little faster. ASP comes in several flavors. VBScript (which is much like VisualBasic programming). JScript (much like JavaScript, similar to Java, kind of like C++). And then there's ASP.NET which I haven't worked with so I can't comment on that. When looking at VBScript vs JScript, the beginner will probably find VBScript easier to work with. If you have some object oriented coding experience, you'll probably enjoy working with JScript. Neither one is difficult to learn (although learning their quirks is a seperate challenge).

How you go about learning ASP can only really be answered by you because it depends on how you learn best. Personally, I'm a learn from a book kind of guy. I have a rough time getting into online tutorials for an entire language because an entire language has so much depth to it (although I use online tutorials for specifics such as file uploading, DB access tricks, etc). Some folks prefer to take a class. Which ever route you go, I'd recommend finding some web space so you can create your own ASP pages to practice and experiment with.