MIL Active Duty Marine Corps

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wdrentz, Nov 13, 2007.

1. wdrentz

wdrentz New Member

Just finished most of my shit today at MEPS/Liason but I couldn't finish the entire process because of a medical disclaimer (randomly had high blood pressure that wouldn't go down).

I've been trying to go Avionics but right now the Corps doesn't have a job to offer me in the field that I want along with the additional MGIB kicker and shipping bonus. I scored well on my ASVAB (83) so there really aren't too many jobs that I'm not completely qualified for, but right now my recruiter is trying to push me into Electronics Maintenance. Thing is I don't really want to go into that field. Wondering if you guys could share your MOSs and why you chose it etc. and maybe some ideas for myself. Obviously I'm not going to make decisions based completely on what other people say but I would REALLY appreciate some sort of input.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

if you aren't 03, you aren't a Marine

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

isn't the MGIB kicker the additonal $600 you pay AFTER you've already paid your initial $1,200?

4. wdrentz

wdrentz New Member

from my understanding the kicker is an additional 12,000 added to the normal 38,000 making it a total of 50,000.. and most everyone puts in the initial 1,200 but not a lot of people utilize it after they are discharged.. they go in with intentions to use it but never do, they just use the field they were trained in and join the civilian workforce.. and regarding 03 I would've done that but I am my mom's only child and she really wants me to stay out of as much trouble as possible (although as a Marine, you're never out of trouble) but I try not to make her life miserable too. I don't want her stressing out and suffering from anxiety attacks while I'm in the sandbox. My step-dad is a CW4 in the Army so she has to deal with him being gone too. No offense it's just that I don't want to hurt my mother.

5. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

You can get the kicker at anytime in the fleet. the only requirement that i am aware of is that you must be able to pay it all before you eas.

6. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

hold out until you can get the MOS you want

7. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

O-level mech on phroggs lol i wouldnt want to be the one doing the rigging on any aircrafts

8. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

go EOD that is a badass mos

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

The Kicker is an additional $600 payment towards your initial $1200 MGIB payment. As long as it is paid in full by the time you EAS then you'll receive it. Just make sure you keep your LES statements that show you have paid for it because the VA does not keep records of the "kicker" payments (so I was told by the Kadena AB education office). I'm paying 30 payments of $20/month. Figured it would be paid off by the time I EAS in 2010 ;)

10. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Electronics Maintenance checking in --

My first contract was spent as a cryptographic technician; my second one was as a telephone tech. For both, my typical workday was spent in an air-conditioned workshop. When my unit went to the field, my typical workday was spent in a 10X10X20 air conditioned electronics maintenance shelter, while most everyone else was outside in the heat. When I didn't have anything to do during the day, I just flipped on the Playstation. Once, we did two 1-month exercises back-to-back and knew about it in advance, so the electronics maintenance section pooled some money and purchased a Dish Network startup package. We brought the dish and box with us to 29 Palms, CA and hooked it up as soon as our shelter was on the ground. The CO was kinda pissed about it, until we made sure that he had a front-row seat in our shelter for his precious Packer game -- didn't hear anything else about it after that :)

All in all, electronics maintenance is a great job in the military, and you'll find it pretty easy to get an equivalent civilian job on just your experience alone. No matter what you choose, good luck to you, and thanks for serving. Semper Fi!

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was in Avionics, 6316 - KC-130's. The good thing is the plane is big, plenty of elbow and leg room to work on, except for the underdeck rack, you'll never see a ship, and when you do deploy with your own plane, you get to stay at hotels along the way to teh suck, while collecting per diem.

The bad thing is, you'll never see a ship, and depending on which unit you go to (3 active, 2 reserve{u can still be active in these units}), you'll never see some of the cool shit and places that the guys on MEU's get to see/do.

As for MOS, I say you wait and hold out till you get what you want. Personally, i'm all about air crew, fuck that maintenance shit. glad i'm done with that. Flying is where the money is at (not necessarily literally speaking). I say be a loadmaster, crew chief, gunner.