MIL Active Duty AF people... relationships and the job?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZeeMox, Sep 11, 2005.

1. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

This stuff is all detail... skip to the bottom if you don't care.

Some of you may recall I made a post a while back about my gf being in AF Basic. Now she's only got two weeks left. Won't be able to make it to her graduation since plane tickets just skyrocketed - I was trying to wait and make sure the date wouldn't change. She called today and we agreed I should just visit her a week or two later when we can spend time together instead of with her family everywhere.

Same phonecall, she also mentioned active duty. Meh. Right now she's going into the reserves. She's way too young to be giving up a future she's passionate about for someone else, so I told her I'd support her, but it might be hard on us, depending on what it's like. I know this is a bad time to be active duty in Marines, Navy, or Army, but I hear AF is less strenuous. I don't know the validity of this. We had some problems just before she left for Basic (we worked them out mostly), but after she gets out of tech school, she will have been gone for the length of almost half our relationship up to this point. Word is she might get deployed shortly thereafter... and this is reserves. What would I expect if she went active duty?

Cliffs: How often/long is the typical Active Duty airman deployed? Anybody have experience with relationships in this situation (namely being the one NOT in the military)?

She's going into an intelligence position. That's all I know about it - if there are subcategories within... :dunno:

2. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

A typical deployment for Air Force lasts 60-90 days. Usually the only time we go longer than that is at the begining of a war. For example, when the war in Iraq started, my friends from my first base were deployed for 6 months.

Do you know her AFSC? If you do, you can go to www.usmilitary.about.com and find out the average deployment rate for her career field. She most likely will not be going anywhere until she becomes qualified at her job and receives her 5-level. That normally takes about a year.

3. Littlebit

Littlebit New Member

hey, I'm active duty AF, and I've not deployed yet, but my squad just left and they normally deploy for 4-6 months, depending on job and place. It's not that bad from what I've heard, but then again it depends on her job. If you have any questions that I can help you with just PM me. Hope this helps a little bit.

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:mamoru:

5. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

She's gonna get scabies in tech school

6. ZeeMox

:ugh2:

7. ZeeMox

Wow, good reply. A lot of good replies actually (except some :squint: :mad: ). Thanks for the input so far.

So basically, deployment is shitty, but not as common or extensive in the AF as other branches. Somehow, though, the "You're unfortunate, but there are others that are more unfortunate" explanation never comforted me too much.

Another thing I'm hearing a lot is that she won't be able to choose her base, so there's not too great a chance of her coming to Seattle with me. I've never heard a good thing about a long distance relationship, and for me to just pack up and move to wherever she's stationed would be basically giving up my future at this point. In my career path, the only place better than Seattle is Tokyo.

8. ZeeMox

It's difficult not to stress choosing between my relationship and my career, but I've been trying to put it on hold for now since nothing will come of it until 2 weeks from now anyway.

9. evan2

evan2 Guest

It really depends on her job, and where she is stationed.. certian jobs go a lot but for short times, some go a lot and for long times. i know some that spend 6 months every year somewhere
    in 5 years at Eglin I deployed 3 times totaling a year time.. 3 6 and 3.. the 6 months was right after I met the woman that is now my wife..it wasnt serious but we talked daily.. and then 3 months while we were living together
    its hard on her but she makes it. its a nice vacation for me

most typical deployemtns now are 4 months, it went from 3 to 4 to change the aef cycle but that means she comes back for 20 months before her window opens up again

im not at fairford in the uk in a one deep slot.. meaning im the only person on base that does what I do... I could go tdy but most likely wont.. well not TDY, let me say deploy to somewhere.. I go on training tdys and meetings all over

Ill say this if she hasnt ever been on her own or away from home she might change for the worse, shes now around all sorts of men and most military women are easy.. granted you dont want to hear this Im not going to pull your chain

Ive courted all sorts of women with men back home and what not..granted I didnt always know, nor did I really care though.. I was young

but it depends how she feels about you and what she cares about. i cant tell you whats going to happen
    if shes young then let her make choices, if she joined she did for a reason lether figure it out

be there to support and she will come.. in time

10. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

I noticed you are 18, are you by any chance in college? The reason I was asking is because I am in the need of purchasing a one way ticket the first of October. Tickets online for me were ranging from $300 to $600. I went to www.studentuniverse.com and they had the same ticket for $157.00 including taxes and fees. It's a good place for students to purchase discounted tickets and may be an option for you.

11. ZeeMox

The rest of that post doesn't support that last line at all. :wtc:

Nope, I'm working full time. I wish I'd known about that place when I was in college though (homeschooled HS, graduated early)

12. evan2

evan2 Guest

I just give it as I see it, cant judge her becuase we dont know her...

13. pakman

pakman New Member

Honestly, from the way I've seen 90% of deployed females act, I'd never date a girl in the military.

14. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:wiggle:

Sorry just kidding with you, I just find the amount of STD's at large tech schools to be funny.

:bigthumb:

15. ZeeMox

She wasn't in the military when I started dating her :(