Active Directory & Adding New Fields

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

How?

I'm fairly certain that I have to modify the schema, though everything I've found hasn't been absolutely clear on it and I don't especially want to screw this up :p

Anyone familiar with it?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I never understood the point of this. I mean, I see the value of having this information available but it's a HR job that would require essentially admin priveleges to manage and you can forget that.

3. Scoob_13

Well, the fields that I'm attempting to create are to assist in management of equipment and personnel. I don't believe that HR uses any of this.

The point of Active Directory is so that any person in the company can have their information listed in a place that's accessible. Let's say that you need to take something to Joe Smith on the 2nd floor but don't know where his cubicle is - all you have to do is open up Exchange and check his info and it (should) propagate from the Active Directory entry.

It's actually pretty damn cool to play with, though I'm not sure that I would have gone this route. This is my first time really working with it, so it's kind of intimidating to think that any change I make is going network-wide instantly :hs:

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Like I said, I understand the point of it, it requires someone in HR to manage it though - someone with admin priveleges which I wouldn't give out. I guess for managing equipment it's alright but I'd use an outside database for that as well so my snotty nose assitant could do the work without having access to user accounts.

It all comes down to, do you really want someone screwing around with those accounts? And if not, do YOU want to do it?

5. Scoob_13

What's sad is that I do want to do it :eek3: