Activating my Windows XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Aug 25, 2004.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Here's my little problem. I recently contracted a virus on my computer, so I basically stuck in a friend's WIN XP PRO CD to erase and reinstall on my main drive where I keep my OS on.

Everything goes smoothly until it asks me to activate and register myself. So I thought okay I've been told I don't need to register myself so I should be okay. I go to activate Windows and it says that the 25 digit serial number exceeded it's uses. I try to enter it in any ways but it still says the same thing.

It says I now have only 30 days till it expires. What happens exactly when it expires? When I had my computer put together, my Dad hired someone to install the software onto my computer and I don't know exactly what he did. It seemed like he had some sort of hack or crack though where it never asked me to activate my CD.

Any ways... if anyone could help me out, I would appriciate it alot =)

2. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Only answer you are going to get out of this forum is the buy the software. Dont know if you go to college or not, but sometimes college students are licenced to install programs on their home computers.

3. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

why is that? :(

4. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

5. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yes, at first it is automated and it asks you to read a really long number but when you finally get ahold of someone it is pretty simple.
    "Is it on one computer?"
    "Yes"
    "Why are you re-activating?"
    "Format/virus/etc."
    "Enter this code"

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you has a legal copy of Windows, you'd have a sticker on the side of your case with the installation key. You could go through the activation wizard and apply your code (instead of your friend's) and activate. But most likely the guy who built the system installed a hacked Windows and now you'd have to do the same or else buy it. The good news is that you can get OEM versions of Pro at Newegg for 1/2 of the retail price. But its still $150. I bet you got a really good deal on that machine, huh?

8. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Didn't the guy that installed windows for you give you the CD? Because if you use your friends CD, and try to get a key from Microsoft, well thats illegal.

You need to find that CD that the guy used to install windows on your computer. If you can't, try and call or contact him somehow if its at all possible. Then you should be able to call up Microsoft and they will give you another key to use.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Or just cheap licenses. I can get XP Pro upgrade for $135 Canadian :wiggle:

10. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Pffft... XP Pro was $35 when I was at Madison