activating data plan for 1st gen iphone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Aug 15, 2008.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I just got a used unlocked iphone and I want to add the $20 data plan to my existing at&t plan.

1) Will adding the $20 iphone data plan enter me into a new contract?
    2) If I do add the feature, and want to revirginize the phone so I can update it to 2.0, what happens when I try to activate it on itunes?

2. HaXoC

HaXoC Pill Counter

I think all you need to do is activate the phone on iTunes should give you the option to add the data plan

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

You'll need to go into AT&T and have them change your plan. More than likely, you'll have to sign a new 2-year contract (at least that's what happened to my friend)

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

no one knows for sure unless they've been in this situation...lucky for you, i have.

to get the iphone plan you have a couple options

1. leave it unlocked and call att to have an imei change. once changed you can add the data plan online. will not renew a contract. downside is that technically you will not have a legitimate iphone plan so you will have to wait for the phone to be unlocked each time you update the firmware.
    2. activate it through itunes and get the voice/data plan and renew a contract. if you're going to do that you might as well get the new iphone.

5. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

huh?

why would you need to do an IMEI change? there's no need to with sim cards, just put your sim card into the iPhone and if you have a newer ATT or Cingular sim, it should work no problem, doesn't even need to be unlocked technically, the activation screen just has to be bypassed.

And the iPhone plan has nothing to do with the Unlock... the unlock is just if you want to use it with a non ATT or Cingular sim. If you have an old ATTWS (Cingular-Blue) sim from a long time ago, you will need to unlock.

Also, as far as re-virginizing it, unless it was unlocked using the very first method of unlocking, you shouldn't need to revirginize it. All the current unlock methods won't fuck up anything (except ziphone). But either way, to upgade to 2.0 you will need to use the pwnage software to unlock and/or jailbreak it. But like I said, if you have a legit att/cingular sim, there's no need to unlock it, the sim will work fine.

So just switch sims, call att and tell them to add an unlimited data package to your plan, i wouldn't tell them you have an iPhone. If for some reason they ask down the road, just say you didn't know it had a special plan, play dumb.

I've had an unlocked iPhone on ATT (using an ATTWS/Cingular-Blue sim) for almost a year with the unlimited mmode data package and nobody has said anything. It even shows iPhone when you goto the ATT website to look at your plans.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

doesnt work like that. the iphone is designed to work with the sim its activated with. if its not then you have to unlock it to use an already activated sim. even if the phone is already activated, you cant just throw a sim in it like normal gsm phones. i believe you can with the 3g phone, but not with this one. trust me, i went through this months ago with the iphone i bought and the other iphone that i flipped. both were already activated with someone else's account but when you put an already activated, non-iphone related, att sim in it, it never picks up service.

again, thats just wrong. with the first gen iphone if its not the sim that it was activate with it will have to be unlocked to pick up service...no matter the sim. you have to add the imei to your account b/c if you dont then you dont have the options, neither does customer service, to add the iphone data plan to your account. with the imei linked to your account it changes your entire online profile...including your features. you then have the options to add the iphone data plan.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

and att is one by one catching people using mmode on the iphone. search howardforums and you'll see. they have a program called snooper that can tell what phone you are using the second it registers on their network. there are tons of people that had their mmode working on their iphone just fine then one day it stops. use the sim in another phone and it works fine. put it in the iphone and no internet

8. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

you might be right, i've honestly never had an iphone that was activated by another person first (both mine and my brothers were new out of the box). So I guess I should have said that... :)

And i'm gonna check howard forums for the mmode thing, thanks for the heads up

9. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

just searched howard forums for iphone and mmode, found nothing about people getting their mmode shut off.... only thing i saw was people with mediamax being forced to a different package based on their phones...

10. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to clarify, the original owner had it activated/unlocked using ziphone. So if the phone was never activated with itunes, can I just add the data plan online (w/o a new contract) and when will it kick in?

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

no, reread the thread