Action against companies supporting spam

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Anyone have any interest in taking action? Like calling the numbers of these companies and either: keeping their 800 numbers busy or actually bitching at the reps/supervisors.

I just got done bitching at the folks at
    [​IMG]

"Hackers keep sending out spam emails to our customers" - yeah, right. 1. I'm not a customer. 2. I removed my name from your list and got an email the following day (this may have caused more problems, but I had to try for giggles). 3. Thats an alwfully pretty banner to be hosting on your web site and sending out in an email.

And they seem to be having problems with this back in May, June, and July 2003:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pillsavings+abuse&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=30&sa=N

I'm kinda leaning towards a war dialer setup to loop in their phone menu for 10 minutes each hour (or however long they will let my modem loop in there). Some one bitch slap me and tell me why this might not be a good idea...

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:bitchslap: this might not be a good idea

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Alternatives?

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmmm there seeems to be anti-spam organizations, but i really don't think they do anything to stop the shit. I'm not sure if revenge is the answer, but you can get spam filters :dunno:

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Astro, can't we like pull up war dialers from 30 years ago (hehehe) and tie up their lines for a day or so?? if a few of us do it, we can probally get some pissed off companies

I am down!

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've been reading that some folks HAVE taken action via hitting them where it hurts - via phone numbers. Especially if they have 800 numbers (remember all expenses are paid by them for all 800 calls). Its a 2 for one special: You call them, you tie up the line AND the call is on their dime.

I'm not sold on this idea (which is why I haven't done anything other then post it here).

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've got spam filters, black lists, and spamassassin. Together its a good setup. But I'd like to be more proactive. IP blocking can only do so much.