Acrylic Cases

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mjbjhu, Nov 18, 2006.

1. mjbjhu

mjbjhu Because it's your dog...

So I want to build a computer and will need a case. While I realize that a lot of people may be against acrylic cases, I want to hear the pros and cons. the computer will pretty much stay wherever I put it (not using it for LAN parties or anything).

I wanted something to show off the electronics and thought this was a bit cooler than a case with a window. Not really interested in LEDs or cold cathodes in it, just want something a bit different.

Also, any suggestions on which acrylic case?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The biggest con about the acrylic cases I can tell you...
    A friend of mine got one and thought it would be cool looking, and it did. But the number of screws he had to take out just to access the case to install everything was a pain in the ass. And heaven forbid you have to replace something.

When he first got it together I asked him if he was going to later route the wires to make look as clean as possible. He never thought about doing it and just left everything as it is. 1 week later as he kept looking at it he ended up opening it up and more or less started over and had to make a trip to a local computer store for various colored wire-ties and routed the cables as best as possible.

He has since hated buying that case and looking to get one like mine.
    http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81602
    1-120mm fan (included) for exhaust and basically that's it. This doesn't include the Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu on the CPU and the Arctic-Cooling NVSilencer5 rev3 on the GFX card.
    And I can still install another 120mm fan up front, and it's extremely easy to do that. Yet as it is it's running cooler than my friend's case with 2-80mm in the back, 1-80 or 92mm in front and I forget what he has on the side.
    Plus it's quieter than his, the biggest noise is from one of my old HDDs.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

What about grounding?

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

I hear that static electricity quickly turns a clear case into one huge dust bunny.

5. mjbjhu

I'm hoping that once I get it together I won't need to open it up since I don't plan on frequently changing things, just updating in a year or so.

As for grounding, that was a concern of mine, but my understanding is that not every build will need to be ground--please correct me if I am wrong

Never heard about the dust bunny thing, that could certainly stop me from using the case

6. mjbjhu

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Sadly it seemsthat Newegg doesn't carry it any more, besides hopely you can find it locally like I did...save that $15-20shipping charge.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You are misinformed about grounding. EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE GROUNDED. Period, no exceptions. Needless to say, plastic cases are not great for building well-grounded computers. You will only have to zap it to death once, or fumble the case while moving it and crack something important, in order to never buy anything besides steel again.

As far as looking cool is concerned, I beg to differ. Naked is sexy, seeing intestines is not. Nobody wants to see wiring. If you want to see inside your computer, buy a case with a window and go to work setting up LEDs to illuminate only those parts that people will be impressed to look at. Or, just buy a well-made solid case and impress people with how clean and understated it looks, like a 20-something jogger chick in Under Armour.

9. mjbjhu

thanks for the input. I think I have moved on from my acrylic case thoughts and will probably end up with something with a window. I really like that Antec from above and may go that route. I guess I was just on a kick when I saw the case and thought it might be cool. Glad I checked in here first. Thanks again

10. Anti-social

Anti-social We deal in lead

While I usually get 90% of my componants from Newegg.com I have found http://www.supergooddeal.com/ to sometimes be much better for cases. On their main page left hand side of page and down near the bottom you will find a link to their free shipping specials. They have some nice Thermaltake cases with free shipping right now. Most of their cases don't come with a PS and I don't suggest getting one from them. They are pretty cheap....even their "upgraded" ones.

But case wise.....good prices.

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

supergooddeal.com has Zalman PSUs which are always good. So they aren't all cheap crap.

12. whatrick

whatrick New Member

13. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love