Acronis True Image saves the day v.Screw Ghost

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Oct 8, 2006.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I sometimes get customers with hard drives that are dying and need to be cloned before they croak completely. I plug the old drive and a new one into an old computer I have, boot from a floppy, run the DOS version of Ghost with force cloning turned on. (I use the DOS version because the Windows one is a typical Symantec-ruined product and its always worked.) It might take overnight on a drive with a lot of bad sectors, but the result is a bootable drive and the customer usually never misses the handful of truly unreadable files that couldn't be copied. And since its a clone, it looks and feels just like the original to the customer. They're happy because their computer is fixed without having to reload everything the long way.

Yesterday I got the drive from hell. I'm sure only a few files were unreadable but damn, Ghost would just sit at the same file fucking forever. I'm talking hours. So I'd access the drive, delete the file, and try again, only for Ghost to find another file to stall at for hours.

I downloaded Acronis True Image trial and gave it a shot. I installed it on the Windows 2000 boot drive of the old machine I use for cloning, hooked up the old drive with the data and a new blank drive. Acronis cloned it without any complaints. Wow. I installed the new drive in the customer's computer and it fired right up.

I'd been meaning to try Acronis for a while and this was a good opportunity. I'll definitely be buying a copy.

2. ChowYunSkinny

ChowYunSkinny You no help me now...I say **** you Jobu. I do it

It's well worth it. With all of the options it gives you and the fact that it just works, it is worth every penny. With the new Universal Restore feature(additional cost) you can restore a hard drive to ANY other hardware, it's awesome.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

acronis is quite underrated in all their products

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I've never tried it, may have to download it to have a plan B. I use Paragon and the fact that it's a bootable CD into a Linux shell and that it recognizes USB drives is worth it to me. It also has a file manager built in where you can just copy data from one drive to the other.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It only works for 15 days but as far as I could tell, it was fully functional.

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

8. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Acronis also has the nice Network backup feature which will allow you to copy/backup Windows/*nix disk over the network.

Acronis ftw