GUN ACP vs GAP?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RMarks, Mar 6, 2007.

1. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Which is better for a conceal carry gun? My next gun will be for when I'm ready for my CCW(some time this summer), I was looking at the Glock sub compacts. So what should I look into? Glock 38/39 or a Glock 30/36?

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Is there even a reason for GAP to exist?

3. mvizos

mvizos New Member

Yes...to further swell gastons ego.

It was a solution in search of a problem.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

.45 GAP is to .45ACP like .380auto is to 9mm... except .45GAP doesn't seem to result in smaller guns. If a single-stack .45ACP pistol grip is too big for you, then maybe you should choose some other caliber anyway.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  5. idleprocess

Actually, I came up with that on my own, being a member of and reading zero other gun messageboards. But whatever. The industry will probably keep inventing new cartridges every few years until damn-near every possibility has been tried. 'Seems like it's halfway actual innovation, and halfway something to keep the public buying new products.

Maybe there's some signifigance to the cartridge being all of 138 mils shorter and it allows someone with smaller hands to carry a "45" handgun that would otherwise have trouble. Doesn't matter to me since I have decent sized hands and find my G17 grip to be just dandy. From what I've read about the 45GAP, it has some issues with accuracy since it tends to be used in smaller-framed guns and/or used by people with smaller hands.

[shrug]

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

With XD leading the way in making a slimmed down .45acp the GAP doesn't have much of a selling point anymore. Even Glock saw the xd45's popularity and was forced to come out with their slimmed version of the 21.

While ballistics are close to the same for standard pressures, that's where it ends. The acp can be loaded to P+ and +P+ levels for even more punch while the GAP's design won't allow for overpressure loading. Toss in a mag of Corbon DPX's into a slim 21 or an XD45 and you have more power, cheaper ammo cost and smaller package.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

So now you have a round that doesn't make a difference in size, that needs reloading skills to upgrade to and costs more than .45acp.

Unfortunately the only real selling point for the average user was size and again, that has been negated by XD and now even Glock.

About the only area that the gap has any selling point is in 1911's modified to use the gap. A bit smaller gripsize but then you can get a .40 or 9mm 1911 and save a ton of money.

8. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I will always have a special place in my heart for hot 45ACP loads :love:

9. idleprocess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45_GAP

I don't have access to Gun Tests magazine. It's unfortunate that they only seem to have run the tests on a single weapon, but given that the 37 is Glock's largest 45GAP pistol, the story will probably get worse as you go into smaller models. Maybe Gun Tests is full of shit and maybe some 45 GAP hater published the wiki article. I just don't quite see the point of a short 45 cartridge.