SRS Acne scars have absolutely destroyed me physcially and mentally

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TourTreaux, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TourTreaux

TourTreaux New Member

So basically I was living life, enjoying it, reaching for my goals, when suddenly, a pitted scar appeared on my face. I had no inflamed acne whatsoever, so it kind of boggled me, but I thought whatever, maybe I was just aging. Then two more pits appeared, I went to a dermatologist. He said I had blackheads[non-inflamed acne that doesn't swell and cause redness and isn't too visible] all over my forehead and cheeks. I asked him..... blackheads can cause scarring?!?!?!? He said yes, gave me some meds [retin-a and antibiotics] and sent me on my way. The meds are helping remove some of the blackheads, but the scarring has become quite disfiguring. I always thought these type of scars only came from cystic acne, but I guess I was wrong. 2 months have passed since those first few pits popped up, and my face has become quite fucked up.

Basically, either this comedonal acne has caused some unusual amount of scarring, or I have a genetic autoimmune disorder where my immune system is eating away at my face. I guess the doctor is still researching, but either way it sucks.

I have become extremely anti-social. I don't feel like going out anymore. I just stare into the mirror for hours, but only at home. Outside of home, I avoid mirrors and reflective surfaces like the plague. I remember the other week walking up to my friends car cause we were going to go grab dinner, and I saw my reflection, and I damn near fell to the ground and starting crying.

I have lost damn near all self-esteem and self-confidence. Everytime I talk to people I always back away or try to find a dim corner of the room to stand in. And I can't concentrate on the conversation because I keep thinking they are looking at the texture of my face and not me.

The thing that has been killing me the most is my girlfriend. I'm afraid to see her. I'm afraid of her seeing me. The other week I confronted her about my problems, and she just kept telling me that "she isn't that shallow" and that I "look just as good as when I met you" but I still don't feel comfortable. My face is just getting worse and worse. She is amazing and beautiful, best thing that has ever happened to me. I've never felt so comfortable around a girl before, and it kills me to know that my face will probably eventually scare her away. I've seen the other guys waiting in line for her, and I feel so inferior to them now. I used to be really outgoing and social and assertive and now I'm the complete opposite. If she doesn't leave me for my disfigurement, she is going to surely leave me for my massive personality change..... BUT I CAN'T HELP IT, I CANT BE MYSELF!!! I'm in so much psychological distress it's fucking INSANE!!!

I've been losing so much sleep. Endless nightmares, waking up 5-7 times a night, work has become such a nightmare because I can't concentrate, I keep thinking about my face, and I'm on the brink of being fired.

I keep imagining this life scenario of being a recluse and how unacceptable it is, and so I've been really suicidal. I can't believe how much I've fallen apart in 2 months. I don't know what to do. If it is the genetic autoimmune disorder, it will be very depressing. If it was the blackheads, that will be very depressing too, because I had no idea they were a problem, I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE THERE. After the dermatologist told me about them, I could still barely see the blackheads sticking my face into a mirror, but yes they were there, very tiny. I've always noticed the blackheads on my nose just as much as everyone else, but I had no clue it was all over my cheeks and forehead. My cheeks were the first to scar up real badly, and my forehead was okay for a while, but a few pits have popped up on my forehead and the depression and distress has amplified quite a bit. I'm going fucknig crazy.

2. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You need to go to other doctors and get more opinions. Waiting around hoping that the one doctor will research it for you won't help. Also I would think that a dermatoligist could give you something to reduce the scarring.

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

See other doctors.

Seriously consider seeking professional counseling.

4. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

:sadwavey:

Hey man, listen. Although I didn't have any form of outbreak in acne or anything, I definitely experienced a facial disfigurement myself. I was jumped rather violently by six people, giving me 6 stitches in my forehead that cracked open, and 5 more underneath my nose. This was Feb '07.

I didn't want to go out. I didn't want to see anyone. I didn't even look in the mirror because everytime I did, I cried. "What a monster", "Look how ugly I've become", "My once so pretty face..", I had all these thoughts, too. I thought that no matter what happened in life, I'd exclude myself from it for as long as I possibly could.

I disconnected my cell phone to avoid calls from friends, quit my job, completely detatched myself from every possible social event there was. I stood inside.

One day I had to go pick up my prescription and on the way I got pulled over (Maybe 3 days after this all happened). The officer came up to my car and gave me a quick look then pulled herself back about a foot. She was startled. She apologised for being withdrawn, then asked what happened. I explained the situation, and while doing so, became very emotional. I started to tear (how embarrasing, right?) and she gave me some words of advice with a little quote I remember til' this day.

"On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless million; who on the threshold of victory sat down to rest, and in resting, they died."

Now, at that time I was kinda like "Um?" and didn't know what to take from it. I thought about the quote a lot and basically wrote an essay for myself on how it directly ties into my life.

You see, life is a game. We are the player in it from our very birth, to our last breathing minute. We come across hundreds of scenarios that leave us happy, thoughtful, uncomfortable, and mostly - confused. Everything that we go through is all part of this game.. all part of life. If you give up, you lose. Is that really what you want? Do you want to be the kid who, because of a little difference in his appearance, decides that he no longer wants to play?

You're better then that, bro. You seem very well educated, well mannered, and from the sounds of it looks like you have a lot of good things going for you. Stop being so hard on your girlfriend, I'm sure the LAST thing she wants is to cause you any emotional pain - she's assuring you of her commitment to you, be thankful.

You'll be alright, man. This just started, it'll end. Surely it'll end.

5. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

[​IMG]

6. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

I got two shots in.. my brass knuckles. Laid two of em out, other four got a hold on me.. Don't remember anything after that.

It was Downtown Providence, near the clubs :squint:

7. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Post a pic, is it as bad as you say it is? how old are you, just out of curiosity?

my acne has been clearing up the past few months. Maybe it's because i'm getting older...

8. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

Im curious what it looks like as well...when I was around 21-23 years old, I got some bad cystic like pimples on my jaw line and neck area below it. i would make up excuses not to go out with friends on the weekends. I did different things to get rid of it, and it has healed with hardly any scarring at all. I wish you luck

9. TourTreaux

TourTreaux New Member

Thank you for your input Dreams2Reality. That is a great quote =) And it's like... yeah you only live once.... why not live it, and fight as hard as you can? Really I can imagine becoming social again, but what is really hard for me is imagining not ever being in a relationship again because I'm just too hard to look at.

METALLIC BLUE, thank you so much for your input. What you had to say was so great, I think I've read it over 4-5 times. I've always had a ton of respect for you and the input you've given others, I was actually kind of depressed when you originally ended your account here on this website. Thank you so much for your words.... It's hard to express it while facing a computer monitor typing on a keyboard, but thank you so much.

I've been doing tons of research on scar treatments and trying to read anything inspirational to keep me chugging along. It's really hard to concentrate on these things though when previous scars keep getting worse and new ones keep appearing. I'm sure it will be much easier to deal with the grief once it halts. I'm just terrified of how bad it could get....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

If you need further support along the way, say so. I can't do the work for you but I can help answer questions, perhaps of a medical nature, or help you prepare for appointments. The more competent and prepared you are with physicians, the more likely you'll get from point A to point B.

I don't know much about dermatology, but I know doctors and what they want and what they need.

11. mrchina

mrchina Guest

We all have our problems TourTreaux, don't feel alone. For me I have a massive scar around my neck from surgery about 3/4 the circumference... it's high enough where a t-shirt won't cover it so it's out in the open. Some people even think it's because I tried to kill myself, but whatever. Thing is I can't do anything about it, or how they react, or if they stare or not. Once you start getting in that mind set, it's easier to just not give a shit.

Good luck to you, stop playing internet detective and find doctors that will change your problem around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  12. BradUF

BradUF Guest

If it is just acne I am sure something can be done to reduce it.

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I think Crohn's Disease is primarily caused by a persistent bacterial infection. Research presently indicates that some doctors are using long term chronic antibiotics on patients and the inflammatory bowel disease is gradually rescinding, if not entirely disappearing without a few years of therapy. The therapy combination is Macrolides combined, usually 2 drugs or more, sometimes up to 4. Clarithromycin, Rifampin, etc.

You can find out more on http://crohns.org/

I believe this is the primary cause of the disease, in-fact I would stake my life on it.

I know, because I'm diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. With years of antibiotic therapy to treat Lyme Disease (which I suspect was causing the CD) the illness has nearly subsided entirely. This should help your brother if he's interested in curing the illness.

14. bonarparte

bonarparte beeeeh

vitamin e oil has been known to fade or remove acne scars, you should give it a try here

www.acne.org

15. TourTreaux

TourTreaux New Member

I've been trying to find a Dermatopathologist, someone who specializes in skin diseases specifically, but I've called so many and the soonest one I could find was Feb. 8th!!!

It's maddening. I kept trying to tell them it was an emergency and I needed in sooner, but they said the only thing they could do for me is put me on the cancel waiting list, where I can fill someone elses spot if they cancel, but the line for it is LONG.

I pretty much hung out with my girlfriend all weekend. I talked to her about it, and she kept saying I look fine. BUT I DONT!!! It finally got to the point where she told me about her biggest crush in high school. She said that he was the ugliest guy ever, but he made her laugh and she just loved being around him, and that she could of seen her marrying him. But he was gay :dunno: so it never happened. But afterwards reinforced that I wasn't ugly, but if I became so, she would still love me. I felt really anti-social the whole weekend.

But I don't know. I WANT TO LOOK GOOD. Although after tons of hard thinking, I do feel a lot less grief. I don't shudder at my reflection.... I just tell myself..... "It's happened.... it's happening. There's no reversing it. Deal with it." And I've been doing lots of research on scar treatments, and trying to be realistic about it all. I know I will never have my face from before, But all I want really is to improve the texture, make the pits more shallow, reduce the rolling scars which look horrible in dim areas, etc. I just really wish the scarring would reach it's end, so I can start assessing the damage. Trying so very hard to keep my head up...... And still hoping that I don't have an autoimmune disease of some sort.

I've seen people with worse scarring than me, that are very sociable and still get great women. Hell, thinking hard about it, whenever I run into someone with bad scarring, I notice it.... but I never think to myself "eeeew gross" and usually pay more attention to how they hold theirselves, how they speak, etc. I just need to keep that mentality, that people notice the scars, but don't feel any disgust from it. Maybe they do.... maybe they don't? I need to stop caring. It sometimes seems to make some men look more masculine, and I've seen women that I still found very attractive despite the severe scarring.

Although I'm way more positive during the day this week despite looking worse, I'm still having really bad nightmares that are really vivid.

Sorry, needed to rant T_T

16. dano

dano OT Supporter

Acne sucks in every way and form, but it doesn't make a difference in how you live your life. You're still you. You have a girlfriend that sees that but you don't.

Work on that first, then the scarring second. There's probably 100 dermatologists within a 25 mile radius of you. Bust out the phone book and start calling around.

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

This is enormous progress. I'm very proud of your current progress. Continue forward, you're beginning to understand the larger picture. The nightmares will end eventually, but you have to go through this process of grief. You don't have to roll over though, so keep researching to find a physician, and setup appointments with the doctors you can set up with. You'll need multiple opinions anyway. You need to do everything in your power to solve the problem, and once you've exhausted all avenues, then you can be at peace. You may find a solution, you might not.

Join a forum for those dealing with this situation, you'll likely find more solutions as well as people who are moving through the process.

You're on the right track. Oh and you're right about men with the scarring you're talking about. They usually look badass, and I most certainly agree it is often perceived as more masculine. There are quite a few actors that have the scars you're talking about. I don't notice the scaring in a negative context.

18. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Read this: HERE

Expert Column: Dermatology in the Cinema from Medscape Dermatology

Teaching Through Movies

Movies, therefore, teach our patients that skin conditions can represent evil. Can we turn the tables and use the medium for our benefit? What examples can we as physicians use to educate our patients?[A disclaimer is in order. None of the following individuals is a patient of mine. No clinical photos are shown, but rather publicity photos.]

Acne and Scarring

When informing patients about acne rosacea, it may be useful to discuss actress Cameron Diaz. Though her case is not as severe as that of W.C. Fields, she shows flushing and inflammatory lesions consistent with acne rosacea. Many actors have forms of acne, including Leonardo di Caprio, Madonna, Will Smith, and John Cusack. Patients may feel less isolated knowing that these celebrities share their condition.When inadequately treated, nodulocystic acne can result in scars. Treatment options for acne scarring are limited, so reassurance is valuable. Many actors have thriving careers despite acne scarring. These include character actors like Tommy Lee Jones and James Woods, and even leading men such as Nicolas Cage (Figure 4), Brad Pitt (with pitted scars), and Sean Connery, the original James Bond.

[​IMG] Figure 4. (click image to zoom) Nicolas Cage with acne scars on the cheek. (Collection of Vail Reese, MD)

It is more difficult to identify actresses with acne scarring. One rare example of an actress with acne scars is Elizabeth Hurley. Usually hidden with makeup and lighting, her scars can be seen in certain photos and some films.

Traumatic and surgical scars can be seen on Harrison Ford, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Sharon Stone. This information can be used not only to reassure patients with facial scarring but also to stress that images of movie stars are routinely altered, made "perfect," placing a potential burden on the population as a whole who hope to emulate that perfection.

Beach Blanket Basal Cell Carcinoma

The movie business has wide-ranging influence on fashion trends. One of the most striking examples of this influence was the mid-20th-century trend toward sun tanning. The fashion of the Victorian era was sun avoidance; the upper classes stayed pale in part to distinguish themselves from lower-class workers who had to toil in the sun. Yet by the 1950s, the beach culture of Southern California spread worldwide via the movies. Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon made a series of pictures promoting the bronzed look. With titles like How to Stuff a Wild Bikini and Beach Blanket Bingo, how could the fair-skinned people of the world resist?Actor George Hamilton (Figure 5) spent an inordinate amount of his career promoting the "healthy" tan, but the ill effects of chronic exposure to ultraviolet radiation have since become clear. Some celebrities who can act as examples of photodamage include Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, and Brigitte Bardot.

[​IMG] Figure 5. (click image to zoom) George Hamilton made the promotion of tanning a part of his life's work. (Collection of Vail Reese, MD)

A condition influenced by both sun and the hormone estrogen is melasma, a form of facial hyperpigmentation displayed by actress Courtney Cox. This cosmetic problem is difficult to clear, even with a combination of topical retinoids, hydroquinone, alpha hydroxy acid, and aggressive sunscreen use.

Aesthetics aside, what of the more serious complication of sun exposure: skin cancer? The diagnosis and treatment of US Senator John McCain's melanoma skin cancers received international press attention and helped spread the word about sun avoidance. Though more common than melanoma, relatively fewer patients seem to be aware of nonmelanoma skin cancer. Many first learned of this condition when former actor and US President Ronald Reagan underwent the well-publicized removal of a basal cell carcinoma. TV personality Regis Philbin, actor Roger Moore, and former President Bill Clinton have all undergone treatment for basal cell carcinoma.

Given that the current epidemic of skin cancer may have been influenced by the behavior of movie actors, it is heartening to see the current trend of healthily pale performers. Significantly, a new generation of actresses has shunned tans, preferring a fair-skinned appearance, including Nicole Kidman (Figure 6), Drew Barrymore, and Angelina Jolie. These examples may be directed to young patients who appear overly tan.

[​IMG] Figure 6. (click image to zoom) Nicole Kidman is an excellent example of a fair-skinned beauty. (Collection of Vail Reese, MD)

The Benign and the Beautiful

Much of the role of a dermatologist is to reassure patients about the benignity of lesions, and using examples of actors with benign lesions is a rapid, effective way to achieve this goal. Beauty marks such as Marilyn Monroe's are small, dark moles located near the eye or in the perioral area. Other patients may be reassured to know that singer Tina Turner has a port-wine stain vascular malformation, and actor Mark Wahlberg has an accessory nipple. Imagine the distress an adolescent male might experience with the discovery of a large, dark hairy plaque developing on his back or chest. Richard Gere has what appears to be a Becker's nevus on his upper back (Figure 7). But given Gere's longstanding career and generally virile roles (the lesion is visible in at least 3 movie love scenes), male patients may feel less shame knowing that they share their lesion with movie star Gere.

[​IMG] Figure 7. (click image to zoom) Richard Gere (shown here with Debra Winger in An Officer and a Gentleman) is not embarrassed to display his Becker's nevus. (Collection of Vail Reese, MD)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  19. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Another trick I learned from growing up with women. When you have facial blemishes, see a professional make-up artist. You can find them locally. If you end up with permanent scars, you visit one of these fantastic people, and they'll educate you on the proper make-up and technique for application on your particular skin type. There are people who specialize in dealing with this specific issue you're facing.

This can help significantly decrease the severity of scars and is of benefit if you have little choice and still feel you want to minimize their appearance. If you're forced to adapt, it's good to know you aren't without options. The world won't end and you won't be a monster. You have the support of people and your girl, so you'll do just fine.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  20. mrsalsays

mrsalsays New Member

my face is not bad what so ever but i do have blemishes from the little acne ive had over the last year or 2, i just use concealer.
    :dunno:
    then again,i dont know how bad yours is?

Post pictures?

21. TourTreaux

TourTreaux New Member

So I'm becoming more and more comfortable just being out again. Although sometimes I do think about the lighting and stuff, for the most part I can just socialize again, despite the scarring getting worse. Whenever people are standing close to me, I can always tell if they are looking me in the eyes or not, and I noticed that people just look at me in the eyes. I have found scars are just as psychological as they are physical.

But I admit, I am still having self-esteem problems. Like yesterday at work, I was chatting with the girl, and she mentioned she was going to a dinner and a party afterward, but she was very vague about it, but I didn't question what the occasion was. Then she got out of work early and I was just like wtf wtf wtf and I just started feeling all paranoid, like I've always trusted her and never given second thoughts to anything but my lower self-esteem has made me more paranoid. I didn't call her or text her or anything, because I didn't want to annoy her..... but I felt like utter crap the rest of the workday.... like why didn't she invite me to this event? etc. etc. and then I just imagined her getting all dressed up and pretty and then going out to party to hunt for guys and I was just like WTF why am I thinking of these things.....

After work I go to my new pad since I'm in the process of moving, and after I moved some stuff out of my car I just sat in the living room all depressed wondering what she is up to.... and then she texts me o_O asking me to come over and help her build a costume. I was just like huh.... it's dinner time, I would of thought she'd by out by now.... but I went over and she was just in the living room all casual no make-up in her pajamas working on a costume..... and we ended up just hanging out, watching a movie, listening to music, making her costume till like 2am... and I asked about the dinner and party thing.... and she said she just ended up not going, and enjoyed spending time with me again.....

I just felt so stupid for being paranoid.... Never had paranoid thoughts like that before. Like I can look in the mirror and not cringe.... but I can't say I feel good about myself. Maybe it will just take time to rebuild self-esteem :hs:

And it seems like every dermatopathologist is booked to the brink, the soonest appointment I could get was Feb.8th after calling 13 places. We need more doctors..... I'll just keep calling, even if I have to drive a significant distance.

22. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You're very right, they have an enormous psychological impact, and you're beggining to understand how to deal with it.

It's important to express those questions to people, letting them know you would have liked to attended.

The effect of what you've gone through is still with you, that's pretty much the sum of it.

Next time, communicate your feelings directly. It turned out for the best, but don't keep things inside.

It's ok man, it's a part of the process. Try to face your fears and be honest with those you're in contact with. You're on the right track.

Good man. Did RateMD help?

23. TourTreaux

TourTreaux New Member

So since my last post I have gotten worst.

Found some doctors that were actually passionate about helping me. The first doctor got 2 of the other doctors and spent quite a deal of time examining me and then going and discussing and researching, and CHARGED ME LESS THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

I knew very mild blackheads couldn't cause this kind of damage, I fucking knew it. I couldn't really afford any more advanced diagnostics, but they've pinned it down to three things

Atrophia maculosa varioliformis cutis
    Atropherma vermiculatum
    Lupus

They say that Lupus is the least likely one, but still possible. However, doing google research on all three is quite depressing really.

I've been extremely depressed lately. I don't know what to do. I know other people probably don't think I look as disgusting as I think I do, but I feel like crying when I see myself. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do. It's impossible to stay positive, just fucking impossible. The scarring just keeps getting worse and worse and it won't stop AND IT'S MADDENING. FUCKING MADDENING. Reading the descriptions is so depressing..... CAUSE THEY'RE UNTREATABLE. They're so fucking rare that there isn't much research as to what causes these things or how to treat them.

The scars are mainly superficial [shallow] but are frequent enough to cause an overall undulated[rolling] appearance, and the texture of my skin makes me want to gag. But since they're shallow, supposedly they would respond well to an ablative skin resurfacing treatment. Only problem is, I'm half white half pacific islander so it would destroy the pigment in my olive skin, my face will always be white/pink while the rest of my body olive if I were to do these treatments to erase the scars.

Why do I have such shitty luck? Not gonna lie, been having suicidal thoughts =( I lost my job because I was basically not working and staring at the walls from depression. I've been too depressed to go job hunting. Just been thinking of ending it before I become a disfigured homeless man.

24. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

It could be much worse. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

25. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

That's unfortunate.

That was very kind of them.

Well the fact that they've attempted to figure it out is a good thing.

It's not Lupus [/House]

Given the nature of the scarring, it is most probable to be the first one. It is possible immunosuppressive treatment might work if topically applied. It can't hurt to try using Hydrocortisone Cream with a 25mg dose per serving of the cream. It's a prescription. If this is immune system related, this could stop further progression. Additionally, intervention surgically by a plastic surgeon specialized in this, could repair the damage for a reasonable amount of money.

I doubt it's Lupus. Seriously, Lupus would show up in other areas sooner than the skin alone.

I've given you an idea to stop the scarring. If I'm correct, it should work, and if I'm wrong, the treatment is harmless and won't hurt you.

Diseases like this aren't untreatable, it's just that particular physician doesn't know what to do because mainstream medicine doesn't have a lot of experience with the condition. Trust me on this, someone "dose" have answers -- it just takes ingenuity, just like my idea. Sometimes solutions are incredibly simple, it's just people say "Oh well nothing can be done" and so they don't seek it out. If immunity is causing the issue, even if it's genetic, topical steroids would work.

That isn't the only treatment available to remove or at least minimize the appearance of scaring. Ask a plastic surgeon who specializes in facial scaring and I guarantee I'm right. A dermatologist is not an authority on what can and can't be accomplished in this area. Begin the process of getting a third opinion from an expert Dermatologist to see what he or she comes up with for a theory. Don't tell him or her what the prior diagnosis is until the consult is almost over (The first appt).

Then, after you've finalized the third physicians opinion -- I can help you find a very good physician for your final opinion if you like -- then consult an exceptionally well trained facial plastic surgeon. I can help you find one of those too. We can begin with the basics by starting here: CLICK HERE

At this point in time it's important to enter counseling while you also work on solving the problem. You'll need emotional support to help you from being debilitated by the psychological aspect of what's happening. If you are debilitated you will not be able to function in order to solve the problem. Anyone facing a crisis like this involving their appearance would experience depression and intense anxiety, so it's important you understand why I'm recommending counseling.

This experience will pass, this depression will improve. Right now you need to look at finding a solution. Don't let internet information or an opinion stop you from looking at the bigger picture. For a condition like this, the odds are more probable that a solution exists that is just not commonly used, rather than that no solution exists. You aren't the first to experience this, so I'm certain of that. I also doubt the condition is as rare as claimed. It's probably just not reported often by those with it.

Give me your Zip and City.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008