GUN ACLU opposes D.C. Police Chief's plan to search homes "voluntarily" for guns & drugs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I <3 the aclu and I have no problem with them doing this but I don't personally care as long the consent is still there.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I bet they were literally torn up on this one. For one, they have no care in the world about the 2nd amendment and you can bet your ass that after the SCOTUS ruling comes out, they still will claim it's a group right and therefore not for them to argue.

This is all about searching homes and finding drugs or other illegal substances. If it was guaranteed it was only going to be guns, ACLU would be supporting the police.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The problem is that people do not know their rights, and this program will take advantage of those people. People are intimidated by the police, and will allow a search because they think they could be in trouble if they don't. And they could be right. Under this program, if you deny consent, your name goes on a list. This list could later be used to put pressure on, harass, or otherwise bother you or your family.

Bottom line is, police, ESPECIALLY in DC, have far more things to do than go door to door asking to search. There should be an articulated reason to conduct a search in the first place. Probable cause, reasonable suspicion, etc. Otherwise, this is just bothersome, a waste of public funds, and a huge potential for abuse.

7. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I foresee numerous fishing expeditions with easy judges on speed-dial for warrants should anyone decline the opportunity to be "voluntarily" searched.

8. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I think that in some places, simply denying permission to search can't in and of itself be used as a probable-cause factor to get a warrant.
    Not sure if DC is one of those places. I'm pretty sure CA is...