Ack...internet only works after reboot?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VolksDragon, Feb 2, 2005.

1. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

Ok, WTF. I thought I knew every damn thing, and could troubleshoot / diagnose anything, but this one makes my brain hurt.

One of my clients has a newer Dell WinXP Home machine that is connected to a Direcway satellite broadband connection through a router. (Yes, Direcway is the devil) Every time she boots, everything works like it should, until the computer sits idle for a few hours. Then, no internet. 404's, email servers don't respond, it's like she just unplugged. No amount of me fiddling can fix it, unless I restart the machine. Then, voila, back to normal.

The other machines on the small network aren't having any problems, so I suspect it is the machine, or the settings therein, that is fucked. Any guidance on what to look for? Something I am not thinking of here? I suspect it is a DNS / Static IP issue, but why not with the other machines?

*inserts gun into mouth*

Anybody who replies with decent, usable advice gets a PM'd link to some sweet pr0n that is currently hosted. GO!

2. chips

chips ...

Iv seen it happen with memory leaks in windows 2k, id try installing SP 2 if she doesent have it installed.

Can she ping from the command prompt ?

3. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

In the Device Manager, go to Network Adapters and right click on the NIC, go to properties, go to Power Management, uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power." Not sure if this will work or not though.

4. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

Cool..thanks. I will try SP2 and do some digging in the Power Management settings.....watch for PM's as soon as the upload finishes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I was going to say the same thing...

Just for the hell of it, check the link lights on the NIC next time it seems to go down.

Also do a ipconfig when it happens to.

6. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

PM's sent. Thanks guys.

I went over to her house today and did some messing around, and here is what I found so far.

From the DirecWay modem, the signal goes to a Linksys switch, which runs to 3 other comps in the house. All the other machines are WinXP Home SP2 boxes, and all of them maintain the internet connection regardless of inactivity, even when I switched the ports around on the switch. Which, of course, leads me back to the machine in question. It works great unless there is 20-30 minutes of inactivity, then it drops.

W......T.......F.

I am going to keep digging online, I am sure somebody in one of my groups has had this happen to them. Maybe I will swap out her NIC tomorrow, see if that does anything.

Pr0n offer is still on, so please speak up if you have any tips!!!

7. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Did you check the power management? What about the PWR Manag. for the whole computer? Did you check the NIC lights on the back of the computer after it looses the connection? Are they on/off?

Turn off all Pwr Managment in your BIOS as well.

When you lose the connection do you get the notifier down by your clock? "Network cable unplugged"

Try removing the card and reseating in on the board. When you do this remove any wires that run from the NIC to the motherboard. Reload any drivers (Use the manufacturer's drivers, not the XP generic driver.

8. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

I've had a similar problem and solved it (kind of) like this: Open network connections and disable the connection. Let it close, then enable the connection. Not sure how yours is, but mine shows the connection as being OK- but disabling and re-enabling establishes the connection again.