Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by dolphinchunks, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphinchunks

dolphinchunks New Member

I have pretty bad acid reflux, makes me nauseous every morning, and frequently after I eat. Anyone else with the same problem have good suggestions for trying to get bigger?

I'm on medication, sleep with a wedge shaped pillow and my diet doesn't include the things they tell you to avoid. I also eat 5-6 meals throughout the day, trying not to stuff myself. The most important thing I'd like to know is what to eat for breakfast. I can't usually eat more than a couple slices of bread, whereas before this I could have a protein shake and cereal.

Right now I'm taking ON vanilla whey, malto, dextrose and CEE.

I'm 19 and before this I was between 8-12 lbs of muscle larger, its pretty sucky. I only weigh about 155ish at 6'1, so I'd really like to put some more muscle on.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

2. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I have acid reflux also, had it since the 6th grade, I eat everything. I take nexium and axid. Just eat more and lift intensely. Acid reflux for me doesnt hinder me with any foods I eat and I can still put on weight. YOu need to eat more end of story.

3. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

4. dolphinchunks

dolphinchunks New Member

The vinegar idea is crazy, and I may try it.

Neo, when do you take your medication and what times are your meals? Does it get worse during high stress times? I've tried to just man up and eat more, and I'd really love it if I felt like that was working, but it just isnt. I'm thinking that I'm missing some little tricks somewhere that would help.

5. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

I'm right there, while I'm avoiding some stuff (tomatoes, deep fried, milk, chocolate, coffee) I don't follow a strict diet, I behave most days but from time to time I eat whatever I want...I'm on a PPI and a motility enhancer to get rid of the nausea and so far it has been great, not so much nausea early in the morning and during meals...5-6 meals during the day is actually good.

You need to keep your lifting routine and just modify your eating habits to fit both your lifting routine and your acid reflux diet...eat plenty of proteins (grilled chicken breasts, tuna....you know, those don't hurt your stomach) and never over eat since that can produce an hiatal hernia which will worse your nausea feelings...

Personal experience: during breakfast time I used to get so nauseous that I'd barely eat a waffle before almost throwing up, I started drinking lots of plain sweet yogurt first thing in the morning, yogurt helps the stomach to create more of the good bacteria to digest food and protects your stomach lining, now I eat a BOWL of cereal with yogurt (cheerios + yogurt taste great :o ) at 6am, this is obviously a weak breakfast but it helps me feel good until I get to my office where I can eat something better, usually at 8am or so when I'm really hungry and I usually order a turkey sandwich and some cantaloupe juice or something like that, gotta keep a balance between both diets.

EAT SLOWLY, I can't stress that enough, one of my problems is that I usually sit and try to do the simpsons thing where they eat without chewing :rofl: you gotta chew your food a lot so it helps your stomach to digest it and more important, it also helps your body get the most out of it :)

Eat always at the same time and at regular intervals, the key here is to keep your stomach working on something so the acids work on food and not on your stomach lining, this way if you have reflux it won't irritate your esophagus (that causes the nausea), take your medication, this is vital...in fact the acid reflux diet should help us gian weight because it requires us to eat between meals :bigok:

Wait at least a couple hours after dinner to go to bed.

Avoid milk, sadly milk is a great bulking product but it stimulates your proton pump to produce more acid to balance the ph in your stomach...this often leads to a more acidic environment :sad2: most time you can substitute milk with yogurt :hs:

If you need more help just PM me, I'm a master in this :o

6. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

I take my PPI and the motility enhancer 20 minutes before each main meal and I also take an extra PPI before any alcohol, we shouldn't be drinking alcohol :o but if I stop eating/drinking everything I like then I'd get more stressed and that would suck so you gotta find a balance, I drank last night :o so today I'll behave and eat only healthy stuff and my protein will be mixed in water :hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.