Acetone as a fuel additive?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by car ramrod, Jun 28, 2007.

1. car ramrod

car ramrod I'm all highway

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Acetone is a derivative of acetyl alcohol, and all alcohols contain oxygen; as such, it has a much higher octane than hydrocarbons do, but at the same time, it releases less energy when burned because some of the H-C bonds have already been replaced with C-O-H bonds.

Short answer: yes, it will work, but you're better off using Toluene because it's a hydrocarbon instead of a carbohydrate, and it's what high-octane gasoline is doped with anyway. Good luck buying it though, it's an ingredient in making dynamite too.

3. car ramrod

Have you tried it?

4. car ramrod

5. deusexaethera

Have I tried what? Acetone, or Toluene? Acetone is in the Berryman Chemtool that I use to clean my fuel injectors, and my turbocharged Passat likes it very much. Toluene is present in the premium gas I have to buy, in quantities up to 50% of the total volume of the gasoline, so yes, I've tried it too.

If you want a real trip, install a methanol injector on your car and hook it up to the washer fluid tank. (blue washer fluid is 50% methanol, 50% water.) The water will cool off the cylinder head, and the methanol will boost your octane (temporarily) up to 120 or so. It makes a decent substitute for a nitrous system and doesn't require extra fuel, provided you have an engine that can use octane numbers that high. Unless you're running a small, Japanese-made and Detroit-rebranded engine, though, your engine most likely can't use anything above 93, if even that.

Remember, higher octane doesn't boost the explosive power of the gasoline, it just makes it more resistant to pre-detonation so you can compress it harder and get more usable energy out of the combustion. If your engine is huge and has low compression, high octane won't do a thing for you.

6. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Xylene?

7. deusexaethera

Xylene I don't know about. I doubt it would last long, though, it evaporates very quickly. Faster than alcohol does, in fact.

8. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

Would be great for your seals

9. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Every scientific test shows acetone does not help, though lots of believers seem to think it does. This old myth comes up every time gas prices go up.

10. deusexaethera

Acetone does increase the octane rating of your fuel. It has a noticeable effect in my car because my car has the ability to adjust its compression. It probably wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference for a big, naturally-aspirated engine, though.

11. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

What engine is this that has adjustable compression? And yes acetone does indeed increase octane rating, but octane does not mean power alone, and a putting a few oz. of acetone in many gallons of gas wouldn't produce any sort of measurable increase in octane. Lots of the "octane boosters" available have acetone in them, and produce only a fraction of a point.

12. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye