SRS Accused of plagiarism

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kinyo7600, Nov 1, 2005.

1. kinyo7600

kinyo7600 The Swiss Magician :noes: OT Supporter

First :wavey: everyone. I don't post here at all, as for the last 2 years I've been just a lurker :noes:.

Anyways, let me introduce myself. I'm 23 years old, and go to a shitty community college in NYC. I screwed up bigtime at my previous school and left after 3 years, took a 2 year break and here I am, stuck in this CC because I need to boost my GPA up. For some unknown reason, I had to retake an English 102 course, even though I received a B from my last school. I've always been a bright student (atleast in my mind). I took honors English at my high school and also took Advanced Placement English during my senior year, so I'm no dunce :hsd:.

Anyway, here's my problem:

The professor assigned the class a term paper and gave us 2 weeks to complete. Although I did procrastinated a bit, I worked my ass off the last couple of days to hand in a polished paper. So I get my paper back today, and surprisingly, the professor thought that I "borrowed" ideas from somewhere else. He also had the nerve to say that someone else had written my paper :ugh:.

Now I'm confused, because I didn't leave him any impression that I used any outside sources for this. My finished assignments that he gave us for homework has always been stellar, on time and never sloppy (tardy). He did give us two weeks to complete this assignment, so why on Earth would he think that I asked someone to write this paper for me? He basically disects my paper, saying I was off topic (no pun intended) and it was "too advanced." That comment pissed me off, I'm hurt and embarrased by it.

So, what can I do? I'm tempted to bring this to the English department and appeal. What can I do to backup my claim? Should I bring maybe previous college papers or even high school papers showing them that I'm not an idiot? :sadwavey:

Are all community colleges like this? It's like if any student handed in "good" work, it must automatically be someone else's work. I can't wait to transfer out of this shithole.

This bothered me the whole day, I could barely walk because I was so upset. Feeling a bit emo atm :wtc:

Cliffs: Good student goes to ghetto community college and gets accused of plagiarism, and that he didn't write the paper for his English term paper.

2. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

What last 2 years

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Talk to the professor. The best way to prove to him you capable to write that paper is just to talk to him. If he is smart he will be able to tell if you are bright, or not so bright, just as you can (if you really are that smart ;))

4. kinyo7600

Used a friend's OT account to lurk, then just signed up for my own at the beginning of the second year. :hsd:

5. kinyo7600

I would, I actually would've told him straight up today when I got back my paper, but I'm a horrible speaker. I get all choked up and it isn't a pretty sight.

And I'm not that smart, I believe it was just way above the level of community college (in my area) students that got me busted. :hsd:

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

So, did you?
    (just curious)

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You have to understand that you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

You are your own judge, as long as YOU know you didn't cheat, that should be enough for you.

Now as far as your teacher concerns , as long as he gives a good grade for your work , just let it go. If he doesn't then go tell him the truth, tell how you spend time from x to z and make sure you look reputable and not baggy or shaggy while you do your plead.

8. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Tell him that he needs to fix his attitude or you're going to the dean. You've been in school too long to deal with this crap.

9. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

You are aobve community college, but you arn't capable of holding a converstation with a professor at one? If you arn't able to talk to hi about it, there is no way in hell you will be able to prve you wrote it and get credit. Be glad he didn't have you expelled.

10. kinyo7600

Honestly, no. I got a friend to read the paper and make a few changes, but nothing big. He helped me join a few sentences together that made sentences flow well, but other than that, the ideas were all mine.

11. kinyo7600

It's not the fact that I'm not able to hold any conversation, its the conversation at this magnitude. I get nervous and choke up. It's the way I am, I get easily intimidated. I'm going to have a chat with him after next class, hopefully he's reasonable and will hear me out. :x:

12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Well good luck then. Plan out what you want to say to him, and be prepared for him to ask questions.

13. kinyo7600

Funny thing is, he gave me a B+ for the paper :hsugh:. I went off topic, pretty much costing me an A, but why would he even grade my paper if he thought the work wasn't mine? He's also going to allow me to revise it, so there is still hope for an A (I need high marks this semester to transfer to a local 4 year college).

Anyways, definitely going to see him when I can, this has been on my chest and mind since this morning.

14. kinyo7600

:bigthumb:

I'll be sure to give updates. Thanks Asylum for lending me your ears...eyes :mamoru:.

edit: quick question, would be seem innappropriate if I wrote down what I need to tell him? When I get nervous, sometimes my mind goes blank, so it might look awkward. :noes:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  15. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

It wouldn't look too good at least, but I don't know about innappropriate. He might think more that you cheated because you have to look at what you need to 'prove' to him.
    Just write the ideas on paper that you want to say to him. 5 or so points, and look at them before you talk to him (during class). Don't pull it out though, it'll look bad. During the conversation stay calm and remember what else was on the paper.
    If it's important, it'll come up in the conversation. Let the conversation go it's own way. You don't know if he'll believe you right away or ask you 50 questions, so it might not matter what you write.

16. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I'd be fine with writing down your points and talking to him.

I would also ask him why he would accuse you of cheating, and ask for the proof or evidence. If he cannot back it up, then tell him to explain his actions. If he is worse, take it to the dean and tell him that you are unhappy with his behavior, and you "would like to know what is going to be done about it." Then shut up and see what happens. If anything the dean will just mention to the teacher to be able to back up claims.

That's like a cop pulling you over and saying "You know, I think you probably ran a red light last week. I didn't see it, but here's a ticket anyway." Would you tolerate that?

17. Stevo 22

Stevo 22 this is how the world ends

Tell him about TURN IT IN . COM and use it to prove your innocence. For the win.

18. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

damn straight. the burden of proves belongs to the asshole prof. if he wants to make accusation, he'd better have proof to back it up or you can sue him back (not at the court but at the english department) because this is pretty serious, it determines one's academic future and even career, not some kid talk.
    i think you (the poster) better make it straight with the prof once and for all, not just leave it at that because it will come back to work against you will you ever have another ruckus with that prof again. for instance: the prof again doubts another of your papers. but this time he takes serious action against it. he brings it to the english department. and he even says that you already did it once. now what would you do? he would say that the fact that you let it go this time means you already accept and admit what he accuses. if then you try to tell the english department whatever reason that you let it go this time, you will just sound weaker and he will sound stronger
    i was in some kind of the same situation so i knew
    so, listen to me, either the prof's trust or the english department's, you have to win one for your own good now before too late.

19. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I had a teacher accuse me of plagiarism in High School, He was trying to get me to admit to it and do extra work to make up for it. I just walked into the office of the head of my school, explained what happened and I got an A and the teacher left me alone till I Graduated.

So I suggest talking to the Professor, if that fails, go to the Dean. Plagiarism is very serious, In my current college if you copy someone's work or cheat, you are out of here.

20. kinyo7600

I had the class yesterday, didn't have a chance to speak with him because he was in a rush to get to his next class. I couldn't make his office hours since I also had a class during that time slot.

I took the time on my break to write what I thought of the matter and also submitted proof (3 drafts and also a screenshot of an email of my friend and I discussing the paper the night before it was due, he also mentioned that I was too fancy of my word selection, too bad I didn't listen to him :wtc:.) that I did not do the things that he accused me of doing.

When I was typing it up, I noticed that I was typing out of complete anger. I went back and lightened up a tad so I wouldn't piss him off :hs:.

Anyways, our next class is on Tuesday, which is also my birthday :o, hopefully he takes the comments I wrote to heart and see that It was all my work. And if not, I'll take it to the dean.

21. johan

johan Active Member

You really ought to see him asap, and not wait until class.

Make copies of everything you give him. Prepare to talk to the dean.
    In fact, prepare everything as if you are going to talk to the dean. Meaning, an uninformed third party. Have proof for everything. Document everything.

Don't skim over things assuming that "oh, he already knows that"

And about whether it's appropriate to make written notes, of course it is!
    Don't just go in there and wing it. Guaranteed to make you forget some major point that you'll remember as you're walking away.

View this as a trial. You need to be prepared.
    There's only a few things that can affect your scholastic career as seriously as a charge of plagiarism.

Within the school context, he might as well have accused you of MURDER.
    Yes, it's that serious.

Talk it over with a friend. Maybe have your friend go with you, and wait for you in the hallway outside.

22. kinyo7600

He's done a really good job of trying to avoid me at every attemp I've made to try to talk with him. He says he has other classes to go to and teach, which is understandable. I tried to arrange a time out of his office hours so we can have a chance to talk, but the times I was open, he wasn't.

Just yesterday, I wanted to talk with him after class, but he gave me an annoyed looking facial gesture and body language, so I read it and just left. Before leaving, I told him I acknowledged that he had hours from 12-1 PM, I asked if I could stop in from 12:00-12:10 (I had class from 12-1:40) but told him that my professor wouldn't mind if I was 10 minutes late. He replied "well I'm not going to be there at the spot, I'll probably be talking with students too."

But I'm sure he got what I put in his mailbox.

23. johan

johan Active Member

Ridiculous! Office hours are supposed to exist for the sole purpose of meeting with students!

Sounds like he might have regretted saying what he did and is to chicken-S to man up and admit wrong. Plus there might be official repercussions if he did admit wrong, and you took it to the dean.

I would give him another chance to meet with you and discuss.

24. kinyo7600

Yea, next time i see him will be on Tuesday, which is a while of a wait, but I got studying to do for my other classes too, so I wont devote all my time to him.

25. teo

teo . => ? => !

You should make the department and the school aware of this situation and the things that you've done. If you wait to talk to him and he shoves you aside for a few weeks, the school's going to think it's suspicious that you waited so long before bringing it up. Keep your bases covered and know that you have more than one avenue of recourse. If one person won't talk to you, keep moving up until you get someone who will listen. Make a stink, if necessary, but be completely honest in all that you do. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.