A&P Accounts receivable woes.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, May 6, 2008.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

So Fall of 2007 went well as far as me receiving payment "on time" was concerned. I was always paid within 2 weeks and things were good.

This spring...... actually screw all this, too lazy to type.

How do you all ensure you receive your payments from your customers in a timely manner? At one point in time this spring I had $4,200 of invoices I was waiting to collect on. Found out today that 2 DVDs and a $900 invoice never made it to the client (mailed 2.5 weeks ago), so that is at minimum another 3 weeks I'll be waiting for that $900. Still waiting on ~ $2000 from my largest most dependable client.

I've read that some photographers write in a clause something along the lines of "receive a 10% discount if paid within 2 weeks)... which is just a positive way of saying "you won't be charged an extra 10% if you pay me within 2 weeks".

I've got bills to pay nugga. I need my monies.

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

yes net30 is standard paid 30 days after invoice. and NET15(5%) is what i use if they pay within 15 days of teh invoice date they get 5% off.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

All our invoices say 30 days net. Anything over 30 days is charged a 10% surcharge.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

I do 50% at booking amd remainder due 30 days out for big shoots. 5% off if paying all upfront.

On a smaller shoot they won,t receive any product till payment is received, unless its a corp that won't play by those rules, like Herman Miller :mad:

5. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

you wanna know about shitty corprate policies? walmart doesn't pay for 60 days!

6. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I would suggest what Mojito says.. 50% upfront and charge more if they don't pay the other 50% afterwards.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

I wouldn't work for walmart if it was the last job on earth, but thats just me :mamoru:

8. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

shit, this thread reminds me about a few overdue invoices.

i'll be ballin soon :cool:

9. upparoom

upparoom Well-Known Member

shit, you think thats bad. some government contracts I have go up to 4 months unpaid.

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

net 30 for everything, and stick to it.

our wedding photographer had a sort of "payment plan" where she asked for 1/3 up front, then the rest of the 2/3 split up over a few payments until a month before the event.

but, she lives in mexico, so i could see why she would do it that way

11. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

and, apparently the in-laws forgot to send her a check to make sure our date was set on her calendar.

luckily, the photog had us down anyway, and didnt' realize we hadn't paid yet. :o

12. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

What wording do you put on your invoices to let people you are planning on the Net30 issue? I don't want to appear like an a-hole for telling people to pay regularly, but I don't want to get stimped for a few months either.

13. Finest

Finest OG #93

My cousin Vinny and I make collection calls. All we require is 5% of the invoice + a new baseball bat for each call. It gets messy after a few swings. :o